Delta IV or Atlas V models

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by underwoodl06, Apr 29, 2009.

1. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

As you see from the title, I am looking for the Delta IV and Atlas V rocket card models. Specifically, these two along with the Delta II are the three main rockets for the United States Air Force. I was hoping that I could find these models and build them since I plan on going in the Air Force Space Command sector and would love these incase I ever get a chance in the future to work on one of these rockets. They definitely would be great room pieces to keep (certainly after boot camp) and they would be a great conversation starter with other Airmen. I really hope someone can find these out there somewhere. Also, some photos showing details would be appreciated. Thanks Everyone :D
  2. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

There's a Delta IV on Jon Leslie's site.
  3. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Thanks for the help, But now I need to figure out how to resize it to 1/96 or 1/48 scale. Anyone have options? Thanks again
  4. dhanners

dhanners Member

Since I work in 1/96th scale, my only options were to scratchbuild. I wound up doing a 500-series Atlas V (the New Horizons launch vehicle in particular) and a "generic" Delta IV Heavy and a similarly generic Delta IV Medium+(5,4).

As rockets go, they're not too terribly complex, although the thrust structure on the Delta IV has some peculiar features....

(I should also note that since the photos were taken, I changed the color of the engine nozzles on the Delta IVs to white, since subsequent research showed that the actual flight articles are covered with a white insulation material.)

Attached Files:

5. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I have seen the first picture in your album of the Atlas over on the yahoo group, but I am looking to just building the Delta IV medium and focus on the Delta IV heavy later on.

Do you think you could get a few more photos of that model for me please? Also, the material you used to make the insulation on the tank structure is excellent. and what are the measurements of those two models if you could give me the info so I know what kind of space I am going to have to clear to fit them in the collection if they are built.

Thanks David
  6. dhanners

dhanners Member

It'll take a couple of days to go through my files and dig out what I had, if I still have it, as well as take some photos. I measured my Delta IV Medium+(5,4) and it is 67.5 cm tall, and I built it around a 5.4-cm diameter model rocket tube. I re-sized the payload fairing from Erik te Groen's Delta III for the payload fairing on the Delta IV. (On my Delta IV Heavy, I re-sized the nose of a space shuttle External Tank from John Leslie's site.)

What I would suggest you do, though, is to go online and find a good drawing of the version of the Delta IV that you want to build (like the one below), print it out, measure it, then figure out how much it needs to be enlarged to get it to 1/96th scale and then take it to a print shop and enlarge it. Then you can take your measurements directly from the drawing. That's' how I did it.

I can't recall where I found that drawing online. It may have been in the Delta IV payload planner's guide, which you can download here: http://www.ulalaunch.com/index_products_services.html. It is a fairly big document.

As for the textured insulation (the orange stuff) you could use the same type of art paper I used on my shuttle ET. On my Delta IVs, I used a tan ridged paper that I found at an art-supply store, then airbrushed it a rust-orange color and once dry, sanded it to get the ridged look.

Attached Files:

7. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Thanks David, the tips really help and I would never have thought of the paper, air brushing and sanding technique. I think it will be possible for me to do it. I'll ask the computer instructor at school about printing out the diagram.
  8. dhanners

dhanners Member

Make sure you check out the Payload Planner's Guide; there are some good diagrams on pages 29, 264 and 267.

I didn't have any time to take photos or look through my files tonight; sorry about that. Will try tomorrow or Saturday.
  9. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Well David, this definitely helps me sort out the rocket I would like to build. I want to save room but keep a consistent 1/96 scale, and the one model that peaks my interest is the Delta IV Medium+(5, 2) and (5, 4)
    Thanks again for the diagrams David.
    Would you know where to find any good pictures of stage 2? I am going to try and custom build one for side display next to the rocket or integrate it in and put a transparency piece in one part of the rocket to show the stage in there. I see that there are a few diagrams in the pdf but I'd also like to try and find others that really show it.
  10. dhanners

dhanners Member