Defiant model....where can I post it?

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by ARMORMAN, Feb 29, 2004.

1. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

I just completed a redraw (in Illustrator) of a ninjatoes Star Trek DS9 Defiant paper pattern. I sent it to him (as a surprise) and have received no response and I wanted to post it for anyone who wanted it....it's a 4.5 or so MEG .pdf file - 10 pages, no instructions (except a quick one I did on page one for one part) and I have not gotten around to build it yet (up to my ears in a FM4 Mecha...verrrrry cool). So, anyone have any ideas?

Bill
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

You will have to wait til you get clearance from the original designer, I am a big trekkie, and I would love to have it, but I want to know that you have the permission to post his work.

til that time, i will drool

Rick
  3. neoneanderthal

neoneanderthal New Member

a 4.5mb attachment as a surprise ... xxxx ... probly pressed delete .. :lol: .... try again ... message only
    n build it first ... lazy xxx :)
  4. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

you can add pictures to your personal album, click on the album button at the top

Rick
  6. bwallaw

bwallaw Member

Hey Guys

At the ninjatoes site posted by ARMORMAN, the file when you click on the parts download link is a .rar file.

What kind of download file is a .rar?
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

similar to a zip file, take a look for winrar, and you should be set

Rick
  8. bwallaw

bwallaw Member

Hey guys

Brief aside... in the site identified by ARMORMAN for the models in question, the parts download links are a .rar file.

What is a .rar file?

(sorry if this is a double-post)
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

look at my previous post ^^^^^^
  10. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

11. Bradley

Bradley New Member

Defiant

I for one would love to have your redrawn model. I tried to put the original together and never got it finished.
  12. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

redraw

If people want to try the redraw (I have a list of other things I'm trying to complete before I can get to building it myself), I will do one massive email to me on Friday of the PDF file (as I have a 56k modem, it takes foeeeeeevvvverrrr....to upload) to those who are interested. Email me your address at my email: perry@crown.net and make sure that whatever mail service you have can handle a 5 Meg file (I DEFINITELY do NOT want a bounceback of this file).

A-Man
  13. ButchPrice

ButchPrice Member

.rar files

.rar is a compression format much like zip. There are numerous free and shareware compression programs that can decompress them, WinRar is one,
    IZArc is anouther <http://izsoft.cjb.net>.
    IZArc supports the following archive file types:
    7-ZIP, A, ACE, ARC, ARJ, B64, BH, BZ2, BZA, CAB, CPIO, DEB, ENC, GCA, GZ, GZA, HA, JAR, LHA, LIB, LZH, MBF, MIM, PAK, PK3, RAR, RPM, TAR, TAZ, TBZ, TGZ, TZ, UUE, XXE, YZ1, Z, ZIP, ZOO

Note the LZH , used by many japanese sites as well
    And it's FREE : )
  14. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

15. Masamune_Washington

Masamune_Washington Member

Size does matter, less is more, GO VECTOR

I don't understand. You redrew it in _ADOBE_ Illustrator, right? Vector, yes?
    Then why is it "150 dpi jpegs" and "a 5 Meg file"? I have Ninjatoes' model with reference images all packed into 800Kb ZIP file, why would a more efficient data method be larger?
    If not vector-PDF, how many colors are you using? An 8-bit GIF or BMP wouldn't have compression garbage, and 256-color BMPs compress via ZIP/RAR enormously (though some would complain about the size when decompressing).
  16. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

It is a medium rez jpeg ART file, not vector (I did not want jaggies); and I did not want to put out the original files. It is also in the million color range.
  17. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

jaggies....

...er, it is bitmap files that give you jaggies. Vector files give crisp edges whatever the enlargement factor. If you are getting rough edges from a vector image, it is you printer settings that need sorting out.

Tim
  18. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

OK, I wanted to check it out before I responded. Once upon a time, waaaay back when I did technical Illustration for a living, when we output Illustrator docs to pdfs, they looked and printed jaggy, so because the screen preview in the more recent version of acrobat showed the parts as jagged, I assumed that it would print the same. As I have just printed out another file that was an illustrator pdf and it printed smooth, I was wrong.

Sorry.

:oops:
  19. rowiac

rowiac Member

Armorman,

To get rid of the "jaggies" when viewing Acrobat files, go into Edit / Preferences / General... and then check the box for "Smooth Line Art". This changes how the vector images are displayed on your screen. At least that's where it is on Acrobat 5. I assume it's similar on version 6.

Hope that helps.

Roger
  20. charliec

charliec Active Member

Acrobat 6 is a little different - there is a "smoothing" option under preferences which has "smooth text", "smooth line art" and "smooth inages"
    turned on by default.

Regards,

Charlie