Decoder Size

I have some HO Gauge Athearn F7A's and GP 35's, does anyone

know if Decoders will fit into these small engines? and if so

what's a good brand to buy??

One with Sooo much to learn, but darn its fun
planeshavings42 :)

Woodie

Mr Plane,

No! It's not you..... you don't need to change your deodorant or anything!! :eek:

Just that no replies means that nobody probably knows. There are many decoders from many manufacturers. Some are designed to be "split" to fit in tight spaces etc. Also the more functions, the bigger the decoder is, of course. Best way to find out is contact a dealer, or the makers of the decoders themselves. Some of the websites have decoder dimensions listed in the catalogues. That may help.

Digitrax is here and that lists decoder dimensions. One way to see if they fit, I suppose is to make up a "dummy" out of card or something and see if it fits.

Originally posted by planeshavings42
I have some HO Gauge Athearn F7A's and GP 35's, does anyone

know if Decoders will fit into these small engines? and if so

what's a good brand to buy??

One with Sooo much to learn, but darn its fun
planeshavings42 :)

I installed a DH121AT into my Athearn F7A SP unit, and it went very good. I was up and running in 20 minutes. It was my first decoder install, so I went for the no solder type!!

Drew

Re: Re: Decoder Size

Thanx for the Info Drew, No solder type sounds good to me, and obviously it fit well also and I liked the 20 minute part as well... Thanks again for the great advise. Happy railroading!!!

Originally posted by Drew Toner

I installed a DH121AT into my Athearn F7A SP unit, and it went very good. I was up and running in 20 minutes. It was my first decoder install, so I went for the no solder type!!

Drew
:)