Decoder in an atlas S-2

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by daboonk, Dec 20, 2004.

1. daboonk

daboonk Member

My dad and I are looking to start a new layout. I am looking on www.discounttrainsonline.com :thumb: at atlas S-2's and i was wondering what kind of decoder i shoud use because some of them look too big to fit. THanks for any help, and also , do kato sd38 or 40's come with a dcc 8 pin slot??? thanks agin
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I put a decoder in a p2k sw7. I think the space issue is about the same as an Alco s1. I used a decoder for a "n" scale locomotive. Since it pulls less than 1/2 amp it works fine and there was plenty of room for the decoder. I didn't want directional lighting, because switch crews don't turn lights on and off as they change directions, so I wired all lights to the power coming into the decoder and just used the decoder to run the motor.
  3. daboonk

daboonk Member

could you recomend a deocder to use or send a picture of the inside of your engine, i would greatly apprechiate it

thanks so much
  4. jdscales040

jdscales040 Member

Go to www.tonystrains.com Tonys sells a decoder made just for the Atlas S1, 2, 3 and 4. It replaces the stock board insde the Atlas loco and extends into the cab. Tonys part number is TTE AtlasS1234.

John D.
  5. daboonk

daboonk Member

thanks alot, im still looking for a decoder for my pair of fp's tho
  6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I used an "m-1" for my sw7, but I don't remember who makes it. It was so small, it fit in the hood without encroaching into the cab at all. I left an answer to your question about your fp's in the other forum that it was asked on, but a t-1 will work if you don't need "bells, whistles or sound."