Decoder in an atlas S-2

daboonk

Dec 12, 2004
New Brunswick, Canada
My dad and I are looking to start a new layout. I am looking on www.discounttrainsonline.com :thumb: at atlas S-2's and i was wondering what kind of decoder i shoud use because some of them look too big to fit. THanks for any help, and also , do kato sd38 or 40's come with a dcc 8 pin slot??? thanks agin

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I put a decoder in a p2k sw7. I think the space issue is about the same as an Alco s1. I used a decoder for a "n" scale locomotive. Since it pulls less than 1/2 amp it works fine and there was plenty of room for the decoder. I didn't want directional lighting, because switch crews don't turn lights on and off as they change directions, so I wired all lights to the power coming into the decoder and just used the decoder to run the motor.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
daboonk said:
thanks alot, im still looking for a decoder for my pair of fp's tho

I used an "m-1" for my sw7, but I don't remember who makes it. It was so small, it fit in the hood without encroaching into the cab at all. I left an answer to your question about your fp's in the other forum that it was asked on, but a t-1 will work if you don't need "bells, whistles or sound."