Decoder for Proto 2000 GP 9

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi guys.

I opened up one of my GP9's (its a phase III model) to install an 8 pin decoder on it only to find out it is not like the other three I own! It looks like a standard circuit board with the three wires (each) for the front and rear light connections. I wonder if any of the fine people here on The Gauge can help me or point me in the right direction as to which decoder to purchase and the instructions on how to install it.

Also, I've been reading up on LED installations and was wondering if you folks could give me an idea as to which LEDs to buy and what type of resistors I'll need to wire them up. Also...is it best to mount the LED's right to the body of the loco instead of having them go through the plastic lens? I imagine that it would make it a pain in the backside maintenance wise, so I don't know where that idea is coming from.

Once again thanks for your help.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pretty please???

OK here is a pic. Honestly I looked all over including the links provided in this forum and could not find anything that would help. Here is a pic of the board. It says "X cut for DCC" and there are "X"'s located on the board, however what next or...is there a next? Surely a decoder needs to be soldered to this somehow. I just wish I knew which one?

DSC01645.JPG

And one more as a comparison shot. Honestly...all I need is a good set of instructions and the right decoder and I'm all set.

DSC01646.JPG

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Gp9...

I have the same model (just have not gotten around to painting it for P&W). I just ordered a Digitrax DH165L0 for use with a SFX004 Soundbug after hearing some at the "Aquidneck Model Railroad" Open House I went to this past weekend.

P2K GP9 PIII.jpg

I think there are some examples on "Wiring for DCC" for a decoder for the P2K GP9 Phase III but the server has been down for the past few hours :cry:

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I hope you found the info you needed. As for lights, I have used Miniatronics "Yeloglo White LEDS" in a couple of P2K GP30s and I like them. They come with resistors in the package.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the tip Gary.

Based on the instructions on the only web page I could find I mocked up a wiring diagram using my own photo. 'cause I'm a visual kinda guy! Apparently, just about any wired decoder will do as well. I've already scoped out a few potentials.

DSC016451.jpg

"Solder Pads: Some Life-Like locos come with solder pads instead of an NMRA socket. To install a wired decoder in these, you simply cut three traces (marked on the PC board with an "X") and solder the wires to the numbered pads - Orange wire to P1, the Yellow to P2, the Black to P4, the Gray to P5, the White to P6, the Blue to P7, and the Red to P8."

The cuts are done on the backside (underneath) of the circuit board. Not on the front/top.

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Enough room, ya'think?

Hmmm... I saw "Tony's Train Exchange" offering some custom adapters too but how to fit an adapter, motive controller, sound controller, speaker and lights into the space available??? :confused:

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Trapped by a small space...

:excited1: Yes! "Wiring for DCC" is back up! Here is a link to what they did (Wiring For DCC - Decoder installation into a Proto 2000 HO GP-9) though it appears as though they had the version with the adapter (NMRA 8 pin plug) built-in... Since Tony of "Tony's Train Exchange" just sent me an email saying 'a few weeks' before the decoder arrives, I would be 'guessing' on what would work. If pressed for a guess, I would say if you have a shrink wrapped decoder instead of a PC Board (PCB) based decoder, it 'should' work as shown in the "How to..." below on "Wiring for DCC":

P2K GP9 Decoder on 8 pin NMRA plug.jpg

and mount a speaker in the cab, below the front light or move the front light to the nose and put the speaker under the forward engine vent...?

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tell ya what. Unless some one pipes up and screams, "don't do it you fool!!!" I'm going to scope out a female adapter plug and hard wire it to the loco like the standard plug that comes in my other Geeps. I'll plug in the DH165LO type circuit board and see what happens...once I get my DCC system in the mail. :mrgreen: