Decoder fitting

Limey

Jan 9, 2006
I fitted a decoder to a Bachmann Ivatt Class 4 loco and it is not working. Now I am not sure if I have fitted it the right way round . The instructions say that the orange lead should go to pin #1 but I can not find any numbers at all . Can I damage the decoder by fitting it the wrong way round.

Limey

(from trains.com)
"If you put it in the wrng way, it won't smoke the decoder . The wiring for the 8 pin plug is designed so that if you put it in backwards, the only thing that will happen is the loco will run in reverse - ie, you hit forward on the DCC controller, and the loco runs backwards, and vice-versa.
There should be a mark near Pin 1, a dot, a different shape of the pad, etc. Pin 1 is the orange wire."
(also from trains.com)
The wiring code is:
Pin#1-Orange-+ motor lead
Pin#2-Yellow-Rear light
Pin#3-not used
Pin#4-Black-left rail pickup
Pin#5-Grey-- motor lead
Pin#6-White-Front light
Pin#7-Blue-light common
Pin#8-Red-right rail pickup

Attachments

• pinlayout.JPG
    pinlayout.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 26

Limey

Jan 9, 2006
Thanks for reply, at last I have got over one problem. My next problem is the loco does not run at all although it did when I first installed the decoder (Bachmann EZ Command 36-551) but I could not change the address from its default #3. So it looks as if I have upset the programming and I do not know how to get back to the default settings

Limey

Limey

Jan 9, 2006
I am using the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance controller. Since you gave me the pin numbers I have done a continuity check and I am not getting any response from pin 8 to the right rail pickup, left side ok. I am now taking a closer look

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The other problem with installing it backwrds is that the lights work backwards as well, and you may not have a common for the lights.
Is there dirt around the pickups on the wheels?
Does it work if you put the original dummy plug back in?