Deal or Not?

Saddletank

Jul 15, 2006
Good evening,

I just succesfully bid on a Proto 2000 EMD Gp-7 Canadian National Green and Gold livery. Is this a deal or not, I am trying to model the transition era and wanted something special to represent the diesel portion.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Depends on what you need..A "Deal" varies from person to person.I have seen those older P2K GP7/9s go as low as $29.99 on line as "blow out sales".You can buy Atlas GP7s as low as $66.00..The current street price of the newer P2K GP7/9s is around $90.00 even though they are just like the older run GP7/9s so yeah you got a fairly good deal IMHO on a P2K GP7.

Saddletank

Jul 15, 2006
Canadian Twist

The twist for us Canadian model railroaders is gettin Canadian Roads at reasonable prices. The availability is normally the issue, especially the transition era liveries.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
And don' forget the "loonie" is doin' good if it's worth 89c yankee bucks and the vast majority of rr stuff seems to come from down there

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If it runs well, you got a good deal. I believe that LifeLike Canada does the Canadian paint jobs (CNR, CPR, and TH&B, and there may be others). It would cost more than that to have a unit custom painted, and, in my opinion, they do an excellent job.

Wayne

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
It's not the absolute best price ever on a P2k GP7, but it is fairly below market value. I think you did okay.

The model is decent. its looks are excellent and its running quality is solid. You may or may not eventually have gearbox problems, as P2K had some quality control issues with its GPs for a while. If so, you can get replacement parts to fix them and make them smooth again.