De ja ... the feeling you're building a model you built before...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I know the feeling of loosing models from a move. When I moved back to the US (from Eastern Europe), I was not able to take my models with me and my ex-wife threw them away. So now, I am needing to rebuild my entire collection.
The good thing is, I can add all of the extra details and greebles that I wanted to in the beginning!
I am looking forward to seeing your builds and see what all you do. I wish you the best of luck with each one.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
@Rhaven Blaack ; that wasn't the reason for divorce? ;)

It's true what you say, you know "trouble" areas and parts that you know you can improve :) I started greebling....

So, I started with the primary hull this time as I had a big blaps on the last build (huge bobble on the port side)

IMGP0446.JPG

My wife is studying Biblical Hebrew, if you're wondering about the textbook underneath :)

hmm, need to touch up the phaser array....

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Did you have a printer issue? Those colour streaks shouldn't be there...

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Her destroying my models was her way of "hurting" me. She thought that if she did it, that it would upset me. I know (in advance) that such would happen. So I took the attitude of knowing that I could use this opportunity to rebuild everything with all of the improvements that I wanted to. :cool::cool::cool:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Remove the printer heads, and clean out the nozzles with a syringe from a pharmacy, the kind they give kids medicine with. You can easily find a rubber hose to fit over the syringe. Flush with warm water, each nozzle from where it pierces the ink cartridge. After you replace everything, clean the rollers, and make sure while the ink carriage is out of the way, you clean the head rubber swiper, and all the ink build up around it. That swiper tends to get too much ink from swiping, and dirties the rollers, and cause all kinds of havoc. I clean my machine probably 3 times a year this way. ;)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Janeway? ... Hum...

"Now THIS is how I prefer the Borg - in PIECES."

:D ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Thanks Zathros, I'll remember that for my own printer, but I think the company would object :)

@Revell-Fan - oohhh, now that's an idea.... got some LEDs from kids toys that broke....being a hoarder is fun!

Don't get a model stuck halfway printing!! :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
LOL, thanks Zathros, so, I checked my LED stock, should have enough to do port & starboard running lights, impulse engines and warp nacelles!

I also found an old circuit board that I can recycle :) Now, to figure out the wiring...

On that point, any suggestions on how to maximise the LED effect? the last time I lit up a model it was plastic so I painted the inside black.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You can use shrink wrap around the LED to minimize the unwanted effect, or paint it will Black nail polish. LED's can also be filed and shaped, so long as you do not expose the Cathode and Anode. I would encourage the use of fiber optic strands though, as these come in such a variety of diameters, and lighting effects, it boggles the mind. Their are strands that light on the side, ones that light only on the ends. Some are 2 mm across, while others are as thin as a hair. You can get variety packs. The dashboard of my 1973 450SL is lit one with one 1mm strand of Fiber Optic wire. The bulb is under the center of the dash, behind, in front of the filter, it's been so many years since I replaced it, I'm not sure any more. That one bulb lit a lot of things. ;)

Fiber.jpg

450SL
Fiber Optics.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Hey, get to work, you still home!! ;)