De-Havilland Comet

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by amesmj, Jul 9, 2009.

1. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi All,
    Well i decided i would go from one extreme to the other so i decided i would go along with the De-Havilland Comet build. This is the Comet 4B in BEA markings designed by Lex.
    Will post pictures of the build as soon as i can.
  2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Looking forward to the build.
  3. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi All,
    Finally got started on the build, plans looked fairly straightforward, and after 3 atempts i finally got a cockpit that looked something like. Now to start on the rest of the fuselage, here's a few pics:-

Attached Files:

4. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi All, got a little more done this evening, Fuselage is now built and Rudder and Elevators are ready to have their skins fitted. So far gone together quite well.

Attached Files:

5. djonghs

djonghs New Member

Neat handy work....nice and soft finish....keep going...
  6. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi All, I got the rudder and elevators finished today, now comes the tricky bit i've been dreading, the engines

Attached Files:

7. david lake

david lake Member

Hello. This is a great build of one of my favourite planes, although i prefer the version with the shorter fuselage. Looking at your build so far, i am sure you will sail through the engine build ups. Will watch your work. Weldone :thumb:
  8. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi David, this build has gone on hold for the moment, it was just a bit too small for my eyes, so I decided to try something a bit bigger :- DC 3 in 1:33 scale, here are the pics so far....

Attached Files:

9. david lake

david lake Member

She is one of my FAVOURITE old girls and still in service in many places across the globe. I hope you manage to complete the Comet when your eyes are up to it, i have a 707 which is on the small side 1:72 and it's the wheels that are too fiddly for me at the moment :eek: i may try to upscale her because that would help :twisted: Nice work you have done so far on the DC3 - i don't know your name amesmj ?
  10. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi David, I have future plans for the Comet in 1:33 scale so I won't rush to complete it, it will be used for trying ideas and techniques on. My name is Martin by the way, my e-mail is martinames0@googlemail.com

Martin
  11. david lake

david lake Member

That will be marvelous Martin and and far easier to see at 1:33 scale i will wait for you with that, because i am a slow worker and always like to see others works and always amaized at the speed at which some fellows turn out their builds. I am still new to this forum lark, to be honest i know very little apart for basics... those smile/faces at the side i found how to use those by accident :mrgreen: but now i know :twisted: Learn something new everyday. You will possibly know what "guest" means on the left, i see this all over but i don't know what for - are these "guest" special here :confused: excuse me for my being dumb, but like i say forums are still a mystery - i will get the hang of it soon i hope and get a model made on here for you to see and all the others too. The work on here is tremendos - your's being one that i admire each and everytime i connect onto this forum. I will have to work out how it is to print your pictures so that my friend who hasn't got a computer can see them because he's like me with aircraft and would appreciate seeing them, if you don't mind, i would put your name on them.

Very well Martin and thank you for responding to my message. Back to you. :wave:
  12. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Martin,
    Great job on both planes - I feel your eyestrain on the Comet (I have four sets of 1:200 rocket gardens in progress - scaling down any of Ton Noteboom's incredible work will give you a permanent squint and drive home the meaning of "fat fingers").

Yogi
  13. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi Yogi, yes I think 1:33 will be the future for me now, I really struggle with the smaller parts even on the larger models.
  14. david lake

david lake Member

Martin. If you have any problems with your eyes you should really see an optician because eyes are precious instruments and you should look after them, although the problem you have with your eyes doesn't show up on your work. Please seek advice for your own good and for ours too, because if you were unable to see to build, then that would be a BIG tragedy and loss to us too. Back to you.
  15. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi David and anybody else thats reading this thread, I have cataracts growing on my eyes but they are not bad enough to have the op yet so I must persevere, anyway bit more work done on the DC3, starting to look a bit like an aeroplane now, enjoy the pics:-

Attached Files:

16. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Wow! this is quite a build! Great work Martin
  17. david lake

david lake Member

This i have to agree with. I couldn't get anywhere near to your standards of workmanship even without your condition, you are a BRIGHT STAR in the galaxy, one that really stands out - your work is SUPERB and i wish you all the hope and best when the time comes for your operation to remove the cataracts, my fathers operation on his was a complete success and gave him a new lease of life and he could carry on making his plastic model aircraft - one of his favourites was the DC3 which he made several of in different livery's also the Mossy which is a favourite of mine aswell. Back to you.
  18. amesmj

amesmj New Member

Hi All, I have another two DC3's in the pipeline, both military and one with full interior (as used by American Para's ) both future projects, but I'll probably do a re-build on this one first putting techniques I've learned from this into practice on the next. this is what I did with the A340.

What are you building at the moment David?
  19. david lake

david lake Member

Hello Martin. You certainly go the extra mile with what you build, like you say the techniques are a learning curve. At this moment i am not building anything. I have so many models that i have bought and lots of FREE ones i cannot yet decide what to build. I am looking at the Gixergs Stingray and the things i have seen on there are right up my street - i am old'ish and these items remind me of when i was a small boy. I might download the output print it to build it and put it there for them to look at too. Back to you.
  20. amesmj

amesmj New Member

David I've sent you a PM.