DDA40X on the loose!

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
As some of you may be aware, the UP DDA40X was on the prowl this week. Many thanks to Dave Harison of the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry for giving people the heads up.

I journeyed to nearby Boone, IA, to watch for it to arrive. I arrived plenty early so I took a few snaps, most of poor quality. I did catch this rolling through town shortly after my arrival:
IMG_0867.jpg

Then, after looking around for a while, I found this GP15-1:
IMG_0872.jpg

Finally, it got to be time to head east of town and pick a spot. After seeing a few trains roll by in either direction, I saw some very bright headlights in the distance. It was moving much faster than I expected and for my first shot only got this:
IMG_0878.jpg

I swung around and got a going away shot which wasn't much better:
IMG_0879.jpg

That was all for this location. I headed west on Hwy 30 to an overpass. While I was waiting for it to appear again, a unit coal train stopped and waited for it also.
IMG_0880.jpg

Here it came, running very fast again:
IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

I had time for one more quick shot as it disappeared under the overpass:
IMG_0885.jpg

All in all, a great afternoon.

Tom

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
CNWman, the DDA40X is so attention grabbing because it is so big.

YmeBP, all except photos 1, 2, and 5 are the DDA40X. It is big

Here is a quote taken from DAvid Harrison' posting on another forum:

The DDA40X was the culmination of Union Pacific's quest for high horsepower, fast, and powerful motive power. It was the final model of double engined locomotives called the Centennials because they made their first public appearance during celebrations of the UP centennial in 1969. Prior to them, there were DD35s from EMD and U50s and U50Cs from GE. ALCO only made one trio of double engined locomotives.

Except for a dabbling by Southern Pacific, no other US railroad joined in in this development and the DDA40X were retired by 1985. Today we've almost reached the horsepower with a single prime mover...the SD90MAC H and AC6000.

UP 6936 is part of the UP Heritage Collection is is stationed in Cheyenne, WY. The locomotive is at the disposal of Union Pacific officers and for charter moves.

Tom

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
CNWman said:
I REALLY like your first shot of the patched CNW unit:thumb: :D But, why is the UP DDA40X so attention grabing?:confused:

DD40X is attention grabbing because the UP got rid of them all except one that is kept in running condition and used with the business train. It is in the same restored historic fleet as the 4-8-4 & the Challenger. A few years ago the UP was very short on power, and put the DD40X into service in the midwest on general freight, but normally the only time you would see the DD40X, the 4-8-4, or the Challenger pulling freight is when they have come out of the shop and need to go on a test run, or if the engine needs to moved somewhere, and they would rather pull some freight with them than make a light engine move.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Outstanding!

HEY TOM:wave:, WOW!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: FANTASTIC PICS!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: i REALLY ENJOYED ALL OF THEM!;):D sorry about the caps, but my thoughts NEEDED to be spoken LOUDLY!:thumb: THANK YOU!:D -Deano

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
FiatFan said:
CNWman, the DDA40X is so attention grabbing because it is so big.

YmeBP, all except photos 1, 2, and 5 are the DDA40X. It is big

Here is a quote taken from DAvid Harrison' posting on another forum:

The DDA40X was the culmination of Union Pacific's quest for high horsepower, fast, and powerful motive power. It was the final model of double engined locomotives called the Centennials because they made their first public appearance during celebrations of the UP centennial in 1969. Prior to them, there were DD35s from EMD and U50s and U50Cs from GE. ALCO only made one trio of double engined locomotives.

Except for a dabbling by Southern Pacific, no other US railroad joined in in this development and the DDA40X were retired by 1985. Today we've almost reached the horsepower with a single prime mover...the SD90MAC H and AC6000.

UP 6936 is part of the UP Heritage Collection is is stationed in Cheyenne, WY. The locomotive is at the disposal of Union Pacific officers and for charter moves.

Tom

I get the big idea :D