DCC: trains running in opposite directions

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
I am resurecting an n gauge layout that has been dormant for about 15 years. I am trying to decide about switching over to dcc. The layout was set up with a single mainling but has a couple of passing sidings so that I could run trains in opposite directions and just put one on a passing siding and cut the power off when I wanted to have one pass. In dcc, is it still possible to have engines running in the opposite direction? or do you have to make special provisions???

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
It's a blessing and a curse. Once properly programed, trains will run in the direction selected from the controller thus allowing opposite direction travel and "cornfield meets"

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
To clarify Jerry's statement a bit, with DCC you can run each locomotive in either direction you wish, no special programming required. The direction is determined by the throttle setting. I think the programming he refers to is for determining which end of the loco is the front, for cases such as a GP7, which some roads called the long hood end the front, others the short hood end. By adding 1 to the value in CV29 you can switch which end is the front. But you'll be able to smack trains together with no problem!