DCC speaker problem....

Iron Goat

After being away for quite a while, I fired up my Digitrax system to make sure that all my lokey's were all still singing on the same page... and my Spectrum 4-6-0 is making a raspy sound when I sound the whistle... the bell, chuff, coupler sound, etc are all OK. I popped the tender top and the speaker was still "floor mounted" on a thin ring of clear caulk (due to the lack of room inside the small tender interior). I broke the seal on the caulk ring, and the whistle still sounds rough and raspy that way, also.

Does anyone have a suggestion on anything I can try before I buy a replacement???

Thanks.... Bob :cry:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Can you try another speaker to make sure that it is not the decoder? That would be my only suggestion...

Andrew

Iron Goat

Thanks, Andy... I'll give that a try. It is really weird how clear all the other sounds are and the only the whistle sound is messed up.

Bob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
That makes me think that maybe the chip has been compromised, but it is weird that it is only the one sound. If the solid state memory of the chip was damaged, you might expect to have trouble with all sounds. Maybe the speaker is damaged and cannot provide a response in a range suitable for the whistle?

Andrew

Iron Goat

Yeah, Andy... I was having a problem with that question, also. I have an new oval speaker, and I'll replece the present 1" round speaker with that later today to see if that is the problem. I'll let you know if that solves the problem.... thanks again.

Bob

Iron Goat

Well... back to the drawing board !!! I switched speakers and the oval one did the same thing (all sounds except the whistle came through perfect, but the whistle sounds like c--p).

Bob :curse:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Is the decoder still under warranty from whoever makes it (Soundtraxx? Digitrax?). That may be one option. If the sounds are downloadable, maybe do that again...

Andrew

Iron Goat

It is no longer under warranty, and not downloadable.... looks like I better get out the soldering iron and put in a new decoder. I think while I am "in there" I will add a rear light to the tender, and modify the coal bunker area, so it won't be a total bust.

Thanks again... Bob :thumb:

Iron Goat

Well, Andy... I think you hit it squarely on the noggin'... per your assessment of my sound decoder problem. I e-mailed Soundtraxx, and Alan Lloyd from Customer Service said that since I tested it with a known "good" speaker, he would suspect that it was neither the speaker nor the installation. He thinks it may be an audio amp problem.

Unfortunately, the only way he can diagnose and fix it, is for me to return the decoder for testing.... there just isn't any easy answer to this one !!! At any rate, this will all have to wait, as my wife is headed into another round of surgery here at Mayo's... and home is still a long time away.

Thanks again for your help.... and God bless,

Bob

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Bob,

Good luck with the decoder - and that goes double for your wife's surgery! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Andrew