DCC Question?

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by kf4jqd, Jan 11, 2005.

1. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Hello:

Does a locomotive with a DCC decoder work on a DC (anaglog) layout?

Thanks,
    Andy
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The answer is... it depends. The decoder must be set for analog (DC) operation, and not all decoders have this feature.

Andrew
  3. trainwhiz20

trainwhiz20 Member

Masonjar is correct. It depends.

Like I know my Soundtraxx Sound/Decoder equipped loco will not run on regular DC.

HOWEVER, if you are looking for a decoder that does, Atlas' is very nice. Their dual-mode decoders can be utilizied on either DCC or DC layouts--the best part is, you don't have to do anything! It will run on either right out of the box (if installed on an Atlas loco). I have one locomotive like this, and it runs like a gem on both DCC or DC. I would highly recommend the dual-mode decoder if you aren't looking for anything fancy.

Hope this helps. :thumb:
  4. kf4jqd

kf4jqd Active Member

Thanks Guys

I have baught an Atlas locomotive that has DCC. I will be switching over in the near future.

Andy
  5. fastlane

fastlane New Member

The Atlas dual-mode decoder takes about 5 seconds to change between dc or ddc.
  6. seanm

seanm Member

Also I have found that DCC equipped (At least in N-Scale) locos, do not like pulse power when on a DC track. If you have one of those advanced throttles that injects pulses at low speeds you may not like the results.
  7. kchronister

kchronister Member

Every decoder I've encountered (many, but by no means all) has a CV that can be set to allow operation on DC or not.
  8. richalex2010

richalex2010 New Member

What is the cheapest DCC system that can run multiple locomotives in the same consist exactly the same (Like an FA/FB set) and have at least 5 different trains running at the same time? Also, How would I set up a dual tracked mainline to be able to have 2 trains running in opposite directions?
  9. Bikerdad

Bikerdad Member

The cheapest DCC system that can run 5 multi-loco consists would be the Digitrax Zephyr, IF you're dealing with N scale. Otherwise, you'll need to go with a system that has 5amp booster.

Setting up the dual mainline is easy: hook power feeds up to each track from your booster. That's it.