DCC or Ready modern Yard Switcher?

MarcO

Nov 10, 2007
SF Bay Area, Ca USA
Hello all im looking for a dcc ready yard switcher. I model modern west coast (SP, UP, BNSP). I pretty good and modding frames if need be. Let me know if you have any tips thanks!

No I cant afford that sweet brass one in MR this month haha.

MarcO

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I think you're going to have a hard time finding a DCC-ready switcher in N-scale... especially a modern one.

You could look at the ConCor MP15's which are definitely more modern than the NW2.

The Proto N SW900/1200 switchers were good runners, more modern than the NW2, but again, not DCC/DCC ready - and more importantly, not available. Although they do show up at swap meets.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
What about the Atlas MP15DC? It is DCC ready and if yiu add a TCS decoder it runs very well.

Jerry

The trick would be finding one... Walthers is out of stock or disc. when sold out on most road names, so I suspect this is going to be the case with most distributors.

They're re-stocking some in late August, though, so if he can hang on 'til then... ;)

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Here is a procedure if you want to install a decoder in a Life-Like SW9-1200
LifeLike SW9-1200

I purchased the SW9-1200 2 years ago. I have to tweak it ( contact springs ) and add a micro-trains coupler. After that , it works smoothly now.
I didn't install a DCC decoder.

Good yard switchers are rare in N scale. I'm looking forward to purchase the Canadian Pacific MP15-DC next suimmer

Jacques

dwight77

Nov 30, 2004
n ft myers florida
I just bought a Kato NW2 and then bought the Digitrax DN123K3 decoder from Brooklyn Locomotive. It is a drop-in decoder, I made the installation, programmed the loco number, and it works great.
dwight77

jmurphy148

Nov 8, 2007
Cape Coral, Florida
I have an NW-2. It's a bit noisy which is a surprise for a Kato loco. I changed one coupler to Micro-Trains coupler but for some reason I can't seem to get the second one right. Does anyone know someone who services loco's and can mount couplers?

John