DCC on board--

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
When you buy a diesel engine and the catalog description says, " DCC on board " and it is DCC equiped, what exactly do they mean? If you want to run this engine on a DCC system, what will have to be done to the engine itself? Will it need a chip or are they saying it already has one and it needs to be programed? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks-----John R and Josh

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Hi J and J,

It means it has a decoder. You will have to do nothing special, other than maybe move a jumper on some brands, apart from addressing it with your DCC controller. Follow the instructions that came with your controller (DCC system) to do this and you should be off and running.

What brand is it?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
jr switch said:
When you buy a diesel engine and the catalog description says, " DCC on board " and it is DCC equiped, what exactly do they mean? If you want to run this engine on a DCC system, what will have to be done to the engine itself? Will it need a chip or are they saying it already has one and it needs to be programed? Can someone enlighten me? Thanks-----John R and Josh
'DCC on board" means the DCC decoder IS IN IT:thumb:. so IT WILL run on DCC right out of the box!:thumb: you MIGHT(you might not have to) have to take the shell off and pull a pin though, but its NOT A BIG DEAL;). the instructions you get with the engine will tell you what to do, as far as if there is a pin in it that has to be pulled;). :D -Deano EDIT: sorry Kyle, you posted while i was writing.

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
Good thing I had learned about DCC ON BOARD and DCC Ready before I made any purchases. I would have sat there and wondered why my new loco wanted to take off like a bat out of hell when I placed it on the track. I think it's a deliberate sales tactic that borders on unethical when some of the companies advertise, "DCC READY!" It gives the user the impression that he or she is good to go. I would rather them say, "DCC Capable".

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
lol thats probably the whole idea, make a wrong purchase and not get what u intended to :p (now ur fixed to store credit) lol..
never know lol..
edit: fixed a typo :p

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
These are two GP30's from Bachmann. They both run great on DC as stated, but are set up to operate on DCC if desired. I will try to find the instruction sheet that came with them or call Bachmann for a copy. Thanks again guys for your input-----John / Josh

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
jr switch said:
These are two GP30's from Bachmann. They both run great on DC as stated, but are set up to operate on DCC if desired. I will try to find the instruction sheet that came with them or call Bachmann for a copy. Thanks again guys for your input-----John / Josh

I think when Bachman says equiped; it pretty much means on board. The seem to be good about that stuff. I have a GP40 that came in their EZ controller kit and it works fine. A little noisey but fine.

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
J. Steffen said:
Good thing I had learned about DCC ON BOARD and DCC Ready before I made any purchases. I would have sat there and wondered why my new loco wanted to take off like a bat out of hell when I placed it on the track. I think it's a deliberate sales tactic that borders on unethical when some of the companies advertise, "DCC READY!" It gives the user the impression that he or she is good to go. I would rather them say, "DCC Capable".
I can top that, I saw a Bachmann, I think, that was labelled DCC Plug Equipped what the heck is THAT 'sposed to mean?

:D

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
DCC plug equipped means the same as DCC ready. DCC onboard means the loco is equipped with a decoder and is ready to go. I buy the Bachmann DCC onboard locos because they're cheap. When they eventually die, almost always due to motor failure, I pull the decoder and install it in one of my P2K's or Athearn's.