DCC Engine shells

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Hello everyone,

I have a few older engines from years ago. I am still in the process of coming up with a track plan i like. I am also buying all my Locos and rolling stock now.

My question is, is it possible to tell if the Locos shell is DDC ready or not? Are the shells larger in any way? How can you tell if a shell is DCC ready?

Thanks,
Cliff

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
It is generally not the shell that you need to worry about. It is how the chassis and motor conduct electricity. DCC-ready locos generally are wired properly and have a NMRA plug inside that you plug the decoder into. Non-DCC ready locos may use part of the chassis (frame) to conduct electricity to the motor. They are generally recognizable by having only one wire going to the motor.

Since most shells are plastic you don't need to worry about them. However, if for some reason you happen to have a brass or other metal body, you will probably need to isolate it from the rest of the engine - certainly the decoder...

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Cliff: Actually, some diesel shells used to be made larger to hold the larger motors we had then (1950-1960.) The old Athearn GP9 was one of these.
Nowadays, people get very fussy about the outside dimensions of their locos.
We still get some "DCC ready" locos that have the plug but nowhere for the chip to go.