DCC Dilemna

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Gary

It's in a Atlas RS-3.

After talking to the people at Tony's and Soundtraxx, I'm going to replace the 3/4" dia speaker with a Small Oval Speaker.

I will put the speaker and baffle in the long nose of the RS-3.
I need to remove some of the weight that is above the truck
and light bulb. Also need to drill hole's (.020"-.030") in the fan grill to let the sound out.

I know this is alot of work, but I think it will be well worth the effort. Hope to have it done this weekend and I'll post some pic's.

Marty

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Here's the 35mmx16mm oval speaker installed in the Atlas RS-3.
The front weight is cut down. I also had to remove the front bulb, to make room for the speaker.

Attachments

• erie sound ch.jpg
    erie sound ch.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 58

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Here a shot of the shell. A hole was cut in the cab area, to make room for the speaker capacitor. .016" holes are drilled in the fan grill area to allow the sound to escape.
Gary you are right. The speaker installation is the most difficult part in installing sound.
The sound is excellent. I'm very happy with the results.
Marty

Attachments

• top erie sound.jpg
    top erie sound.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 62

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Gary,
Have you played with the CV's on your soundtraxx yet?
Or have you left the it per factory settings?

There seems to be many options to program with the movement of the loco. I know that you can adjust the dynamic brake sound, idle, etc.
Marty

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Marty, Other than the standard cv's I change in regular decoders (speed steps, address, momentum) I set cv50, volume, cv54, chuff rate, cv51, background effects and cv52, foreground effects. Chuff rate was a bit tedious but you won't have to deal with it. CV's 51 and 52 are pretty simple, but the instructions read a bit like the instructions for a tax return. If so and so, add x to amount on line 10. It all makes sense tho. You are turning on or off certain sounds. For example, you don't want to hear fireman fred on an oil burner. I imagine there are similar situations with the diesel decoder, I haven't bought one yet. I intend to install a couple in dummy units, to avoid the fitting you did. If I can be of any help, you are in trouble. Only kidding, I'll help if I can, but the manual knows more than I do! Have fun, Gary