DCC Decoder Number Change

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I dont think its a short. I really believe that for what ever reason the decoder is not accepting the cv changes. I also get "good" when I change how I am programming it say po mode ect. The only issue is after I do get the good and try to run the engine it still only works with the 03 number. The ditch lights are not an issue. They are hooked up correct but again I can not get the decoder to accept and keep the cv changes. Its like it says good and then forgets. :( I guess calling the LHS first and then trying Digitrax is where I am at now. Thanks for everyones help, and yes I will let you know how it turns out. :)

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
COMBAT said:
I dont think its a short. I really believe that for what ever reason the decoder is not accepting the cv changes. I also get "good" when I change how I am programming it say po mode ect. The only issue is after I do get the good and try to run the engine it still only works with the 03 number. The ditch lights are not an issue. They are hooked up correct but again I can not get the decoder to accept and keep the cv changes. Its like it says good and then forgets. :( I guess calling the LHS first and then trying Digitrax is where I am at now. Thanks for everyones help, and yes I will let you know how it turns out. :)

I'm going to try and tak a video of my engine that is doing what yours is doing. Did you get a response from digitrax?

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I had to work and wont be able to call them till Friday. I talked to the LHS and I am disapointed to report they said they have no idea. I dont believe that but what ever. I will get help else where. :)

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Well, I have called another place and hope they can let me know tomorrow. We will see and I will let you all know. :(

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
COMBAT said:
Well, I have called another place and hope they can let me know tomorrow. We will see and I will let you all know. :(

I have a couple pictures of my "fail" situation that is similar to yours, but thought better of posting them as it wouldn't actually help you solve you issue, just show you what i found out about mine :).

Could you take a quick snapshot of how you have your loco wired? I got some help wiring my spectrum and it corrected the issue, going to try the same on the boxcab and see how that helps.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
posting "good shots" of how you wired a decoder up DOES help those of us that know whats going on, see if you wired something wrong:thumb:. weather its a regular decoder, or a sound decoder, they are wired about the same;). if you are shorting out, it would make it easier for us to see where/why. "a picture tells a 1000 words" :D -Deano

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
The engine runs FINE with the 03 number. The lights work, runs in the correct direction ect. I just can't get to accept CV changes. Its not a TUMOR, short. LOL

I am hoping to get some help tomorrow and I will let you all know what happens! :)

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
COMBAT said:
The engine runs FINE with the 03 number. The lights work, runs in the correct direction ect. I just can't get to accept CV changes. Its not a TUMOR, short. LOL

I am hoping to get some help tomorrow and I will let you all know what happens! :)
:) o.k. but i did explain that the same thing is happening in my box cab engine. Runs great w/ address 03, lights work functions work, everything looks great, hell i can even read the various data back from cv's. Go to program the thing into 4 address mode.... Fail .... O.k. must be my decoder, started looking around on groups. Found an articel about older digitrax command stations not working properly in paged mode so i emailed digitrax they sent me this:

With the knowledge it is critical the motor be electrically isolated and assuming the two motor brushes are in fact isolated to only the orange and gray wires from the decoder are electrically connected to the motor, and with the red decoder wire going to the right side track pickup and the black going to the left side track pickup all should be well. The fact you can use F4 to turn on/off the strobe indicates you simply program CV114 to 36 decimal to get it to give you a strobe effect.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 11:28 PM
To: 'Techsupport'
Subject: RE: DN163 NOPG issue

Thank you for the instant response J. I bought another dn163 and guess what .. same issue!! I mean exact same, I don’t think It’s my decoder anymore.

My engine is a MDC/Roundhouse boxcab diesel. http://www.skyersfamily.com/gallery/v/Trains/Depot/MofW/HPIM5035.JPG.html ( i took off the blue and read and replaced the motor side w/ the grey and orange and the other side w/ black and red)

I have it wired like this: orange to one side of motor, grey to the other side. Red to bus bar black to screw on top of motor. Checked w/ a volt meter all seems isolated. I have white wire plugged to 1 grain of wheat 12v light, yellow wire plugged to 1 grain of wheat 12v light, white w/ yellow stripe plugged to 1 grain of wheat 12v light and all of those commons from the lights plugged to blue lead.

I programmed cv114 (white w/ yellow stripe) to a value of 24 and the light doesn’t strobe it turns on and off w/ the directional head light. I think it’s either something I’ve wired incorrectly or my engine doesn’t like decoders J.

I have a spectrum that I can try it out in, it also has strobes. http://www.skyersfamily.com/gallery/v/Trains/Depot/SpectrumF40PH/ I’m going to try it w/o connecting the light board first then try to wire the light board to function 0 then try to wire the lights to individual functions. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Decoders came from separate sources. One didn’t have a violet wire which is a little concerning.

[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']From:[/font][FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif'] Techsupport [mailto:techsupport@digitrax.com]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 8:14 AM
To: Tory Skyers
Subject: RE: DN163 NOPG issue[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Sounds like a bad decoder. Return it to us for repair/replacement. We don't have a registry..that is why there is no serial number. You must keep your receipt to prove when you purchased the equipment. [/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Please see the website, www.digitrax.com <http://www.digitrax.com> for the repair procedure, warranty details and or costs. You will find it at the bottom of the home page by clicking on repair procedure. This completed repair form helps us to expedite repairs and to get your items back to you faster. Happy Railroading, Digitrax Technical Support, 450 Cemetery St., #206, Norcross, Georgia 30071, techsupport@digitrax.com, Ph. (770)441-7992[/font]
[FONT='Tahoma','sans-serif']-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:23 AM
To: techsupport@digitrax.com
Subject: DN163 NOPG issue[/font][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
Hello, I am having an issue w/ a dn163 decoder I just installed tonight. It seems to work great, but I can’t program a 4 digit address, my dt400 says “nopg”. I ran it back and forth a couple times turned on the lights I have connected and all works great except w/ only a 2 digit address. I put it back on the program track now it reads “fail” for all cv values I try to read back from it. I have a super chief starter set I purchased in December, and I have 4 other engines I run round my track and they all work (and report cv values) w/o issue.

Factory reset works (cv8 to 8) and tried a bunch of stuff I found on the boards and none seem to work.

BTW how do I go about “registering” my super chief for warranty support etc. I didn’t find a serial number on the device anywhere.

So ... i took the decoders out and instlaled one in my spectrum (that was an adventure in its own right but i finally got it to work w/ the help of fellow gaugers) and it works fine no issue can program and read all cv's. The second decoder is going to be installed in an older athearn which is still on my bench.

So saying all that to say i didn't think it was short either but something living inside my boxcab hates dcc and not even all dcc JUST chanign its address to something other than 3 .. hmmm maybe the box cab has a nmber 3 fetish!! :D

Either way when in doubt send it back :) they'll hook you up. They (digitrax) were very responsive.

Oh and I'd like to see how you wired your ditch lights so i can wire mine the same way!! :-D

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Well, I went to this place today:
http://litchfieldstation.com/lobby/u_university.htm

He put both of my engines on the programing track and the programmed both engines with his computer. He gave me the free software to do this as well for future jobs. He even showed me how easy it is to do. :)

He programed the ditch lights as well. I have no idea what was wrong with the orginal way I tried to program it but what ever. :)

I asked him if I had done anything wrong and he said no, everything looked good to go! :)

With that I have no idea and at this point I dont care. :)

In regards to the ditch lights I will show you what I did do and what I am going to change it to when I get a second. I dont have the time right now, but I plan on working on this in the next couple of days.

Thanks to all who tried to help! It is appreciated! :)

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Combat,
That sounds like very good service! I take it that you did not purchase the decoders from him in the first place? But this guy was willing to help you out !:thumb:

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
Glad to hear it worked out. I have bought all my decoders from Litchfield Station and have found they have great service and great pricing. The free shipping can't be beat.

Very odd that your wiring was right and it still wouldn't program the standard way. I look forward to reading what actually worked (cv's)...

Scott

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I did not purchase them from him, well at least not those two, but I needed another one with sound that I did purchase from him along with ditch light led's resistors, shrink tubing, tape, and some other stuff I cant remember now. He even took the time to tell me how to wire it and mount it. Service, hell yeah sevice!

:) I will be buying my other DCC stuff from him too because of it! :)