DCC Decoder installation in spectrum Loco

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
got it all hooked up .. my lights are a little off :), but i'll work on that. I used a heat gun in my shell and the little plastic "light pipe" for the nose headlight went all wonky on me. I have to get another. Im also not so impressed w/ the strobe on the dn163. The board that i desoldered all the components from had a stronger strobe and brighter light. The lights actually went out .. it's probably just a cv setting but i've noticed that all my chipped engines (excetp my kato i got from combat) have dim lights :(.
Anyway i'm rambling hahaha. I'm so happy i got help to get this to work :). I was starting to think i needed to get my materials ready for a static diorama ;).

UP SD40-2 said:
YmeBP:wave:, NO PROBLEM!:D GLAD to have been of help:thumb:. THANKS!:D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
YmeBP:wave:, GLAD its running!:thumb: , sorry to hear about your lights:(. to be honest with you, in 99% of ALL the "older" engines i have converted, i have had to change out the lights with 16v bulbs;).

Really, the BEST and EASIEST PROBLEM FREE engines to convert are the *NEWER* Proto 2000's, Atlas, Atlas Trainman series, and Kato's:thumb:. i have had NO light problems with those, and decoders/sound decoders are a "snap" to put in them:thumb:. with those brands, it will take you longer to get the shell off, then it will to install the decoder;). just thought i would throw that info in there for "future" reference:D. :D -Deano

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Jim Krause said:
The newest Model Railroader magazine, April, has an article on installing decoders.

Sweet thanks everyone :). I really appreciate the help! I've purchased some led's and w/ the help of some other gaugers i actually understand how to install them hahah. I may replace the light tube thing w/ individual led's for the numberboards and nose lights.