DCC Curiosity Questions

Woodie

Just out of curiosity, and to determine who is doing what, I've got a few "survey" type questions of others. And to get a general idea of who is up to what, specially when it come to using a computer with DCC.

Just reply with "quote" and slot your answers in after the questions would be easiest I suppose.

1: How long have you been running DCC for?

2: Does your DCC system have the ability to interface to your computer?

3: Do you intend to interface your DCC system to your computer?

4: Are you currently running your DCC layout with the use of a computer?

5: Any comments?

I just want to get an idea of how many Gauge members are running DCC, and how many are using their computer with it, and whether I'm "pioneering" the use of a computer, or there are others here that are well versed with it.

Thanks. :wave: :thumb:

Woodie

The answers about me?

Woodie said:

1 month.

Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

At the bottom of the learning curve! :D So the only way is up!! :thumb:

Gary Pfeil

Hey Woodie, I am such a computer moron I don't know how to quote!
But here are some answers:

I've had dcc for 5 or 6 years
Yes
Only if you come over to help me with it! :) Seriously, I would like to play with it, but I would need someone nearby who was into it to come and take charge of it, I have too much railroad to build, and I (kind of) know how to do that!

Woodie

Gary Pfeil said:
Hey Woodie, I am such a computer moron I don't know how to quote!

Gary, to "quote" you just click the "quote" button down the bottom right of the post, then edit the post accordingly. :thumb: It copies in the post you are replying to to, and you can slot your own comments in where needed. :wave:

davidstrains

Woodie said:
1: How long have you been running DCC for? About 1 year Digitrax Radio Chief

2: Does your DCC system have the ability to interface to your computer? yes

3: Do you intend to interface your DCC system to your computer? no

4: Are you currently running your DCC layout with the use of a computer? no

5: Any comments? I have enjoyed the hobby more with the DCC. Although I have stopped working on the construction end of the layout due to some flooding and reconstruction issues, I still like to run 5 or 6 trains at a time around the layout.

Woodie,

Here is my response.

rksstl

1: How long have you been running DCC for? about 1 1/2 years
spent a couple of years just reading about it.

2: Does your DCC system have the ability to interface to your computer? no

I spend waaaay to much time behind one now. :D

4: Are you currently running your DCC layout with the use of a computer? n/a

5: Any comments? I agree with david I throughly enjoy the benefits of DCC and wouldn't change back to conventional DC. I usually spend too much time playing with CV's and trying different lighting and should go and get my track finished and start some scenery. But that's what the Layout Parties are for. :D

caellis

1 1/2 years Lenz 100 with both 90 and 100 Cabs

Yes, USB

Have been for 6 months.

Yes

Use the computer as additional Cabs. And for operating switches using Switch-It and Hare decoders on Tortise machines. Am not currently using feed back from Hare's so the Switch-It's are more cost effective in that each Switch-It costs about 2/3 as much as Hare and controls two Tortise each.

CalFlash

Woodie said:
Just out of curiosity, and to determine who is doing what, I've got a few "survey" type questions of others. And to get a general idea of who is up to what, specially when it come to using a computer with DCC.

Just reply with "quote" and slot your answers in after the questions would be easiest I suppose.
Thanks.
wave.gif
thumbsup.gif

1: How long have you been running DCC for? 3 years but layout is still under construction

3: Do you intend to interface your DCC system to your computer? yes

5: Any comments? I began this layout with the intent of going DCC from the start and am happy with the decision. Wiring has been simplified as I think operations will be.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Woodie:

2+ years

Not yet, but I have a Mac, and I am unsure if the interface s/w is compatible. I could get an old laptop running windows to be dedicated to this job...

See above... ;)

No. Primary plans for computer interface is to ease programming.

Running Digitrax DCC. Use a Zephyr at home with an MRC Tech II for a "jump" throttle. Use Digitrax Super Chiefs and Empire Builders with all varieties of throttles in wired, radio, and IR at modular club (www.hotrak.ca).

Andrew

xtcrr

1 year

Yes
it is allready
yes
Hope you have time to set this all up!
I use digitrax with railroad and Co software!

cnw1961

Woodie said:
1: How long have you been running DCC for? 2 years

I need my computers for my job and for surfing, that is enough computer for me – no computers för my trains.

Kurt

HPRL

Woodie said:

1: How long have you been running DCC for? JUST STARTED

2: Does your DCC system have the ability to interface to your computer? YES!

3: Do you intend to interface your DCC system to your computer? YES! - SEE COMMENTS BELOW

4: Are you currently running your DCC layout with the use of a computer? I WILL BE

5: Any comments? I HAVE AN OLD DELL 5000 LAPTOP I WILL INTERFACE. WILL USE A D-LINK ROUTER FOR NETWORKING THE RR TO THE COMPUTER DCC EQUIPMENT AND IS WIRELESS. I ALSO HAVE A DELL AXIM I30 PDA WITH BLUETOOTH AND 801.11 CAPABILITY WITH LOCO CE. I WILL BE USING THE LOCO-NET FOR THE INTERFACE.

I have everything ready to go and now shopping for decoders to power my loco's and RDC's - I have thought this out over a couple of years and slowly gathering all the stuff. Who knows, by the time I get everything up and running - it all will be obsolete and then NEXT Generation RR will be here. :D

I just want to get an idea of how many Gauge members are running DCC, and how many are using their computer with it, and whether I'm "pioneering" the use of a computer, or there are others here that are well versed with it.

There you have it.......

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Woodie said:
Andrew,

I note on the JMRI website that their software (freeware) is able to be used on a Mac. http://jmri.sourceforge.net/download/

Hey Woodie...

Thanks for that info - sorry I missed it for so long...! ;) I expect I might be able to connect a programming track to the old iMac that my daughter has for her Winnie-the-Pooh and Dora games... :D

Andrew

Woodie said:

1: How long have you been running DCC for?10+ years

2: Does your DCC system have the ability to interface to your computer?yes

3: Do you intend to interface your DCC system to your computer?yes

4: Are you currently running your DCC layout with the use of a computer?yes

5: Any comments?The computer does add the ability to add several controlers and the fact that i have 2 computers networked i can run the trains from the other room.Just tried it to see if i could do it.The advantages depends on the person who is using the computer.
You can also do some really cool programing with the computer.

I'am running a Digitrax system with the cheif