DCC and the Airport

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
Here's a random thought I had this evening while finishing my install of my bathroom exhaust fan.
If I were to take a trip and bring my DCC throttle with me so I could use it at a layout that I might be visiting. I would want to bring it in my carry-on so it wouldn't get damaged in my check on baggage. Well would the morons *ahem* security personnel at the security checkpoint in the airport try to confiscate my throttle? Even if I were to explain what it was for? Has anyone encountered this?

Jake

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
I have never tried to take a DCC throttle in my carry-ons; but I do normally have a lot of other electronic equipment (AC supply for my computer, battery chargers, batteries etc) and have never had any of it confiscated. One time they took everything out of my carry-on and re-xrayed a bunch of the stuff; but I eventually got it all back on went (merrily?) on my way.

jflessne

May 10, 2006
Hot Arizona
www.azlivewire.com
You'll be fine. I always have a electronics bag with me when my family flies. DVD players, gameboys, cameras and camcorders. Be prepared to remove them from the bag and place them in separate buckets. They may ask you what it's for etc.

I have friends that travel with network testing tools like toners and packet sniffers. Never had anything taken away.

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
I don't know about that, but I took a super detailed Proto 2000 GP7 with me, and when TSA pulled it out of the Overland Brass GP-20 box it was packed in to check it, they dropped it and destroyed both ends of the unit. They then proceeded to sticker the carbody with the TSA sticker, and didn't even bother to re-wrap the engine in the plastic I had it wrapped in and shoved the whole (now broken) mess back into the box and back into my suitcase. When I complained to Southwest about it, they told me that they were not responsible and neither was TSA, that next time do not put fragile items in my checked bags. Whatever lady, next time, I'll leave the trains at home.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Jake: Will your hosts at the other end have a compatible DCC system? Don't they have a spare throttle?
I brought a transistor throttle back from England in the carry-on bag. It was an open frame with wires and electrical gubbins sticking out all over. They didn't say a word or even ask me about it. Someone said I should have raised a stink about their security.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
As a commercial pilot who goes through airport security a lot...my humble advice is pack it close to the top of your luggage so if asked you can get it out quickly. Keep whatever packing materials explaining what it is with your DCC stuff. The TSA people won't know what it is and probably won't understand the explanation - just because they probably aren't interested in MRR'ing. Most likely, you won't have any problems at all. Every once in a while when I'm traveling out of uniform, they look at my bag since it has a lot of metal and wires (flashlight, headphones, airplane keys and stuff) and sometimes they re-scan it, but I've never been asked to open it and see what's inside. You should be fine, but pack any questionable items at the top for easy access.