DCC and Spectrum 0-6-0T, HO

Discussion in 'DCC & Electronics' started by twilight, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Carrie Creek

Carrie Creek New Member

sound in 0-6-0t

This is how I'm planning to put sound in my 0-6-0t as soon as I can buy the decoder. Someone please look this over and tell me if you think that this idea will work Thanks. also note that the 1/4" depth of the notch might be too much.
    Phil

Attached Files:

2. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Phil.

I could not open the attached file.

Bob
  3. Carrie Creek

Carrie Creek New Member

:wave: Iron Goat I don't know what I've done now I tried to reattach the attachment but it wouldn't reattach. I tried to attach it here but it wouldn't and then the whole message disappeared on me so here I am retyping it in. I am not making any progress to day.
    Okay I got them posted on the first site again
  4. Carrie Creek

Carrie Creek New Member

Iron Goat, did you get the file to open for you? I have installed my TCS M2 decoder in my 0-6-0t. I taped it to the roof and ran the wires down between the front windows and under the tank to the board. I put the resistor for the front headlite where the orginal lite bulb was. I was able to put the 1.5v bulb in the housing and ran the wires into the smokebox. The rear resistor lays on the floor of the cab and the wires run up the left back corner. This worked out real nice.
    Phil
  5. Iron Goat

Iron Goat Member

Way to go, Phil ! Sounds like you are up and running. It looks like you had an interesting installation with your 0-6-0. I am still looking at the new Spectrum HO Climax.... but all the greatest wisdom out there says it can't be done at this point in time. (Boy, I love a challenege.... but I'll wait a while yet)

The tender on the HO Climax is even smaller than the one on the "low boiler" model of the Spectrum 4-6-0, and that was a tough installation.

Enjoy your "new" lokey.... Bob H. :thumb:
  6. Carrie Creek

Carrie Creek New Member

capacitors in Bachmann 0-6-0t

Freelancer,
    I asked TCS about the capacitors as their site for installation for their M2 decoder says to remove them. They stated that they are there for European markets. and that they will cause irraitic operation if not removed. So if you are still having problems this might be the cause. I would unsolder the joint between the two cap. and test the response before clipping the leads as they do not recomend unsoldering from the brushes.
    Phil:wave:
  7. gthomp10

gthomp10 New Member

I installed the DZ-121 in my 0-6-0T. I was having problems with it running at slower speeds. I read on a few forums about the capacitors that Bachmann installs to reduce RF interferance in Europe. Every thing I read said that clipping off the two yellow capacitors would fix the problems at slow speed.
    I finally decided what the heck and pulled the shell off and after taking a deep breath, snipped the two capacitors off. Wow, what a difference. It runs like a charm now.
    Also, make sure that the rods on the drivers aren't binding. I know I had a heck of a time getting the shell back on when I originally installed the decoder and ended up bending on of the rods.
  8. gthomp10

gthomp10 New Member

I installed the DZ-121 in my 0-6-0T. I was having problems with it running at slower speeds. I read on a few forums about the capacitors that Bachmann installs to reduce RF interferance in Europe. Every thing I read said that clipping off the two yellow capacitors would fix the problems at slow speed.
    I finally decided what the heck and pulled the shell off and after taking a deep breath, snipped the two capacitors off. Wow, what a difference. It runs like a charm now.
    Also, make sure that the rods on the drivers aren't binding. I know I had a heck of a time getting the shell back on when I originally installed the decoder and ended up bending one of the rods.
  9. Carrie Creek

Carrie Creek New Member

Hi there gthomp, Yes the shell is hard to get off that is one of the reasons that I removed the figures and glued them to the cab so that you don't have to push their arms in. If you go back up to my post on how to put in sound you will see the other changes I did to improve the ease of service. If you can get the tank/boiler off the cab without breaking the three tabs it would help alot. It is one good running engine I hope that it is for you.
    Phil