DCC and Spectrum 0-6-0T, HO

twilight

Anyone have any thoughts on what decoder to use in a 0-6-0T. I am new to this and have recently joined a model RR club that uses a Digitrax system and would like to convert this little guy over!

Thanks,
Mark :)

shaygetz

I installed one for a clubmember, it was a Lenz though I can't recall what number. It was an easy but tight install, the problem being all the wire. Next one I do I will clip them to length. I seem to remember it was fairly easy to do because the unit has a PC board in it layed out for DCC.

I had this all typed out to create a new thread, but I just found this one and suppose it would work fine here, hope you don't mind.

"I am trying to install a decoder into a Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0T and am having difficulties. I have found a couple web sites that show a basic how to... but they refer you to the locomotives instructions on how to wire it all to the existing circuit board. I got a steal of a deal on this engine so it didn't have any instructions, so my question is, does anyone have any instructions for this locomotive that they would be willing to share with me? Could someone maybe scan one into a digital format? Or if anyone has installed a decoder in this type of locomotive and can help me figure out which wires go where, I would greatly appreciate it!

I thought that there was a thread at one time about having a web site devoted to instructions, couldn't find the thread, but I definitely think a website for instructions would be a great idea. Did anything ever happen with that? Hmmm....I have been dieing to try and build a website, maybe this could be my chance. Anywho, I would greatly appreciate any help."

Oh, and twilight, I am going to install a Digitrax DZ121. Here are a couple sites that I have found, maybe they might help you too.

http://www.mytrainstuff.com/switcher/index.html
http://www.greensteamproducts.com/060T.PDF#search='Bachmann 060 DCC Installation'

Thanks! Freelancer

Iron Goat

Twilight... The one I used in my 0-4-0 was a Digitrax DN 121, and she runs great. I just wish I could put sound in it also, as that is the only lokey I have that does not have a sound decoder.

Bob :thumb:

twilight

Thanks all for your responses, I will let you know how things turn out. Now that I've looked at the prototype a little bit closer, I've notice some things that need to be changed on Bachman's version. So, I will be attempting them, also!

As far as, Freelancer, I did get the exploded view for this 0-6-0T and I have found them next to useless! :mad: Usually, exploded views of items I've worked with have little arrows connecting every little piece together. Not this one. It just shows everything apart. :confused:

I'll let you all know when she's up and running!

Twilight

twilight thanks for letting me know that the instructions were not useful, I quit searching around for them and decided to take some closer looks at some of the pictures on those web sites and was able to get the decoder installed, it really is a tight squeeze, even for the DZ121. The only issue I have now is that it runs rough in reverse. It runs fine going forward, but when going slowly in reverse it lunges. Can't figure it out, anyone have any thoughts.

Thanks, Freelancer

Iron Goat

Freelancer,

Just so we know where we are all coming from on this... had you operated this lokey using "DC", before the decoder installation ? This may or may not be a good practice, but I have always ran all the loco's (DC) that I plan to install decoders in, so I knew I had a reference point where everything worked... in case after decoder installation things did not "go right".

Bob :confused:

The engine was operated on DC first, a little here and there but not a whole lot. It worked just fine and didn't have any issues. Now at decent to high speeds while in reverse it works fine, but at lower speeds is when it lunges. I thought it might be the gears, but it runs fine slowly going forward so I doubt it is that. I have tested it with and without the shell on it and it has the same results, so nothing is binding up with the shell on. Don't know what is going on, and can't imagine what it could be.

Thanks for your help, Freelancer

Carrie Creek

I have just recieved a MRC prodigy advance system so now I need to put a decoder in my 0-6-0t and these installations are just what I need so thanks, I will be trying them to see which one I like the best. If I can figure it out I will see if I can alsoget sound in it. Will let you all know if I succeed.
Phil

Good luck Phil, that would be awesome if you could figure out how to get sound in it. Do keep us updated, and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I doubt that I could be of much help, but I am sure that someone here can answer your questions.

twilight, how is your installation coming?

Freelancer

twilight

I haven't got the decoder yet but, I hope to pick it up tomorrow night. It doesn't look like a hard installation if you any good with a soldering iron. :thumb:

I will let you know what decoder I decided on. I think it is a DZ143 from Digitrax.

Twilight

twilight

Freelancer, the decoder went in and it was as simple as pie! Our club president referred me to www.tcsdcc.com and I was able to download installation instructions from there with clear photos!!! :thumb: Ended up using a TCS decoder for this job called the M1. I'll test it out at the club tomorrow night and then I have to weather the blessed thing, it's way, way to shiney for me! :D

Mark :)

twilight, glad everything worked out well and good luck on the test run, I doubt that you will have any problems though. TCS hmmmm.....never heard of them, nice web site though, lots of helpful info.

Be sure to post some pictures after you are done. Oh, and while you are at it you can weather mine for me too. :D

Freelancer

Phil, how is your installation going? Have you figured out how to get sound in there?

I am still trying to figure out what is wrong with my engine. I had a loop of track set up with a DC power pack and decided to try the engine on it. It ran just fine forward and in reverse. I thought that maybe it was miraculously fixed some how, so I decided to test it on my DCC system again. Unfortunately little fairies hadn't fixed it and it still lunged in reverse. So now I am really dumbfounded as to what the issue might be. The only thing I can think of now is that maybe a CV or a setting needs to be changed. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Freelancer

Carrie Creek

Hey Guys, I'm going to install a TCS M2 in my 0-6-0t as I will have to save up for the Soundtraxx, DSD-090lc that I am planning to install. I think that I have it figured out so if someone is interested I can e-mail them how. Also I noticed that in those two sites that Freelancer suggested that they kept the two capacitors but TCS recomemds that you remove them. Any ideas as to why? I am not to literate in electronics. I also glued the two men to the cab so I don't have to keep pushing in their arms.

Carrie Creek

sound in 0-6-0t

This is how I'm planning to put sound in my 0-6-0t as soon as I can buy the decoder. Someone please look this over and tell me if you think that this idea will work Thanks. also note that the 1/4" depth of the notch might be too much.
Phil

Attachments

• 060page3a.gif
    060page3a.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 060page4a.jpg
    060page4a.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 78
  • sound install.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 39