DC to DCC?

CNWman

CNW Fan
i'm wondering, can you switch a DC engine into a DC/DCC engine? I have afriend who uses DCC, so I'd like to know if my Life-Like Proto 2000 CNW 4056 F3A desiel can be made to switch between the two so I can run my train on his layout

P.S. I did my Algebra Exam today. They call that hard?

CNWman

CNW Fan
Thoroughbreed said:
Once you upgrade the engine to DCC, most decoders allow for DC operation also. So it can go back and forth between the 2.:thumb:

well..... I don't know if I can upgrade. I've never taken my only power-horse apart (and WON"T unless I'm absolutley sure) and the DCC thing would have to work on Digitrax systems. I don't know the true workings of the thing itself, so I would like to see another model's guts to get an overall feel of how to do it. I've had the CNW loco for over 4 years and never took it apart:p

Pooh Bah
I think Combat means a chip that tolerates both systems.
A few years ago there were claims that locos ran better even on DC with a chip installed.
What could be hard about an algebra exam?
Myabe you should sometime see what's inside the loco. Not sure how it comes apart; usually the body clips onto the frame. All DCC chips should work with the Digitrax system; that's what NMRA standards are for.

oldtanker

My Atlas Master series factory DCC has a jumper I have to move to DC operations. My Athearn Digitrax mod one will run on both.

I your engine is not DCC ready you can go to the Digitrax web site and download detailed instructions on how to convert your engine.

Rick

Rick

Life Like uses the 8 pin plug, so look for a decoder with 1. Heres a link to an installation with pics for an FA unit:
http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/llfb.html
LLfb_2.gif

Jim Krause

I've posted the following comment several times here on the gauge. Maybe some of you are getting tired of seeing it by now. Some LC series decoders by Soundtraxx do not support operation on a DC system. So say the orange warning labels on the box that my DCC equipped Bachmann Shay came in.

NYNH&H

You can Zero stretch if the layout owner allows. Just don't let the loco sit to long. If it is DCC ready, just plug the decoder in and go, if it is not, you could send it to Tony's to have it done for $45 plus decoder. Or you could just hijack one of your friend's locos. :D