dayliner info ?

toys2nv

Jun 25, 2007
Tottenham, Ontario
I still remember them running by my house several times a day on the CN main line. I know CN and CP both ran them. I also remember VIA running them. Anyway I thought I would like one when I was thinking or going CN. Then I decided on CP I had another look. I found one in VIA (last one in the store). I did some research and found VIA ran CP tracks. Also there is one still running in northern Ontario.

Back to the dayliner. It's a lifelike. In VIA dress. I had a look around and couldn't find anyone else making on. Is there any other manufactures on this unit?

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
BC Rail used to run one from North Vancoiuver to Lilloet (You are talking RDC cars right?) I have also seen pictures of CN running RDCs in the Okanagan valley where I live.

There is one other manufacterer that used to make RDC cars, Athearn. However they didn't run very well due to a rubber band drive and poor electircal pickups. Your best bet it the Life-like model. Very good model both in looks and running abilities.

toys2nv

Jun 25, 2007
Tottenham, Ontario
RDC? I have only ever heard them called Dayliners. You learn something new every day. I have the last in stock one on hold down at george's to be picked up later this week. It is the LifeLike version. They had both CN and CP but they have sold out. The VIA was the last in stock version. They were not sure if they could get more so I took the VIA.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The LifeLike (Proto) version is probably your best bet, both for accuracy and running qualities. The Athearn model was a shortened version, and, as noted, not a great runner. I remotored one with a Tenshodo SPUD truck, and it ran extremely well, but that's not a project for beginners. I sold mine when I backdated my layout to the 1930s.
It's too bad that the prototype RDCs never had a viable replacement, as they were a good alternative to a locomotive-hauled consist on lightly patronised lines. My fastest train ride ever was on a TH&B RDC, many years ago, on the run from Buffalo, NY. to Hamilton, Ont. :)

Wayne

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Toys: you might call Credit Vallet in Streetsville; they had a big pile of them on clear-out a while ago.
I've ridden them from Cornwall to London, up to Barrie, and even out of Boston. You could often stand at the door behind the engineer's compartmant and watch the tracks ahead; this was thrilling/terrifying at night as you watched car headlights zip over level crossings in front of you.
Dayliner was CPR's term -- it was even written on the numberplate at the side.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I hope I'm not "hijacking" this thread,some folks get right nasty.
Just how bad do those older rubber band drive rdc's run? I really want a couple but the only option for me is used.The last show I was at I picked one up five times but was afraid of the drive and can't afford to waste twenty bucks.
thank you

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Even with a decent power pack, they were notorious for "jack rabbity starts" and a high top speed. At mid-range they weren't too bad, but you had to be careful that you didn't let the speed drop too low, or they'd start to stutter: I think that this was caused by the drive bands "taking a set" when the unit was not in use. The shortened length was a good idea, though, especially if your layout has tight curves. Otherwise, save your cash until you can afford the Proto version.

Wayne

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
My first HO set was a pair of Athearn RDCs. They did pretty well until I ruined the couplers. The worst problem will be replacing the rubber bands when they go bad.
The operational characteristics of the Hi-F drive (Athearn's name for it) seemed to replicate the operating characteristics of a real RDC. Really. my only problem with them was the fact they're one window short.
I would say, if you find one at a show and it runs, buy it. Just remember that the tooling is 50 years old.

toys2nv

Jun 25, 2007
Tottenham, Ontario
I picked up the RDC today. It's a Proto 1000 in VIA colours. I like it. Only issue is my tracks don't. I have 22" and 18" radius corners. It will do the 22 ok as long as the inner tracks are clear. As to the 18 well lets say it keeps the brush trimmed back.
645726594_3b911a6440.jpg

645726590_5d9b1ed5b8.jpg

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
thanks for the info,clearence is something I didn't think of.How long are they?I have some 85ft passenger cars that insisted one curve be widened but thats all,this was the one 18 curve I have,the rest are all 22.
Thanks again.
Oh yeah,has the Proto model cured the one window short problem?

toys2nv

Jun 25, 2007
Tottenham, Ontario
how many windows are there meant to be? The unit only has one powered truck and it has problems on the grade on my track. The crest is on a turn and it has a down hill grade through a tunnel. I think I need a cable car. It's long with the trucks right at the end. I think they were 85' or 90' units.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Rail Diesel Car. (RDC) built by Budd. I had one of what was probably the first HO model of this machine in 1954. Made from steel and pot metal castings. The frame was stamped steel sheet and the magnets in the motor would stick to the frame everytime the car went around a curve. Never could get the thing to run except on a straight piece of track. Ah, the good old days. May they never come again.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
The proto model is correct length. There may be a diagram around here that I posted once.
There were 5 main models of RDC (ones that made more that a dozen of). RDC-1 was all passenger, RDC 2 and 3 had progressively larger baggage/mail compartments, and the RDC 4 was all baggage/mail, but shorter. The RDC5 or 9 was all passenger but didn't have an engineers position with windows in the vestibule, also was only single-powered.
There was also the Roger Williams -- an RDC based train with an F-unit cab on the end cars and a different style of siding. (Was this B&M?)
I rode behind one of the cabs once, out of Boston.