Daisey Designs 1964 Chevy Corvair Spyder

nx13688

Jan 26, 2004
Marshall, WI
www.daisey-designs.com
Daisey Designs is happy to announce our newest release, a set of (4) 1/32 scale 1964 Chevy Corvair Spyders.
http://www.daisey-designs.com/corvairs.html
The Corvair was one of the most innovative automobiles ever built, pioneering use of unibody construction, 4-wheel independent suspension, and a rear-mounted, aircooled aluminum engine in an American production car. The Spyder model also pioneered the use of a turbocharger in a production car, developing 150HP from its tiny 145 cubic inch engine.
Our models come in 4 different colors, with 3 different wheel types. All are also complete with "NADR H8R" license plates. :D Construction is simple with just 3 parts, so even a beginner should be able to complete it quickly.
Thanks for looking!
Ryan
daisey-designs.com

One curious thing about Nadars crusade against the Corvair. By the time he published Unsafe at any Speed, General Motors had fixed most of the problems that affected the Corvair. The swing arm rear suspension and the brakes IIRC. The problems that the vehicle had were still present in all cars terms of lack of safety equipment and crash worthiness no matter where they were built.

nx13688

Jan 26, 2004
Marshall, WI
www.daisey-designs.com
Thanks, Sticky. The truth is slowly getting out.
While the changes made in the '65 Corvair were indeed a great improvement, there is little to no evidence to support Nader's claims about the earlier models. This was the conclusion reached by the NHTSA and their review panel in 1972. Anyone who wants to learn more about Ralphie's claims, and the subsequent reality, can find a good explanation by Corvair expert Bob Helt at: http://www.corvaircorsa.com/handling01.html

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
No kidding! When I took driver's ed (summer of 1960), the school vehicles were a Chev Corvair and a Ford Falcon. My father was driving a Valiant. Of the three, I liked driving the Corvair best. I remember that the street in front of the school parking lot was torn up that summer, and a broken water main turned it into a sea of muck...the Corvair had no problem getting through the gumbo, while everyone had to prey overtime if trying to get the Falcon through that stuff. When I hit college in '62, one of my buddies there had a little Corvair spyder, which he managed to dig up enough cash to put the GT-40 fiberglass body kit on. What a gas to drive that thing was. The way we burned up Highway 1 with it really gave the lie to the drivel that Ralphie boy put out. The only American car I've had that came even close to the Corvair in overall handling was a '62 Tempest convertable...which, ironically, had a corvair tranny in it.