cutting small disks

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by johnflys2, Apr 15, 2007.

1. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

I am cutting small disks 3mm, 7mm and 8mm and as would be expected they need a little rounding. I find while sanding the edge of the disks the fibers show slightly. How is this normally treated? John
  2. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

I am cutting small disks 3mm, 7mm and 8mm and as would be expected they need a little rounding. I find while sanding the edge of the disks the fibers show slightly. How is this normally treated? John
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

You can use CrazyGlue to stiffen the parts before sanding. This will eliminate the fuzzy edges.
    Personally I would use hole punch to cut those disks - they give nice straigth edge...
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

You can use CrazyGlue to stiffen the parts before sanding. This will eliminate the fuzzy edges.
    Personally I would use hole punch to cut those disks - they give nice straigth edge...
  5. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

Crazy glue

Using crazy glue won't affect the color of graphics on the disk? I know that stuff wicks into whatever you apply it to. John
  6. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

Crazy glue

Using crazy glue won't affect the color of graphics on the disk? I know that stuff wicks into whatever you apply it to. John
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I usually use it in small amounts on the reverse side of the part. Works well for stiffening narrow bulkheads so they don't collapse under the skin segment.
  8. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I usually use it in small amounts on the reverse side of the part. Works well for stiffening narrow bulkheads so they don't collapse under the skin segment.
  9. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

super glue

Darn! I guess I may have to use that stuff. Every time I do, I get stuck to something:( John
  10. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

super glue

Darn! I guess I may have to use that stuff. Every time I do, I get stuck to something:( John
  11. sakrison

sakrison Member

I keep two kinds of superglue on my workbench--brushable ("Elmer's") and gap-filling. I use the brushable stuff to strengthen small bulkheads and other parts and to strengthen joints, and I use the gap-filling stuff where I need a strong joint but have a loose fit. The brushable stuff discolors some but not all inks, so I usually use it on the backs of visible parts.

I sometimes use a toothpick to apply the brushable stuff to a visible because that allows better control. But you have to work fast; it dries fast.

--David
  12. sakrison

sakrison Member

I keep two kinds of superglue on my workbench--brushable ("Elmer's") and gap-filling. I use the brushable stuff to strengthen small bulkheads and other parts and to strengthen joints, and I use the gap-filling stuff where I need a strong joint but have a loose fit. The brushable stuff discolors some but not all inks, so I usually use it on the backs of visible parts.

I sometimes use a toothpick to apply the brushable stuff to a visible because that allows better control. But you have to work fast; it dries fast.

--David
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

If you don't like Super Glue you can use Acrylic Artists Varnish - just sand down to part to approximately right - apply some varnish to the fuzzy edge - let dry and sand off with fine paper. Acrylic has advantages because it won't affect print colours and certainly won't stick everything in sight (fingers, tools) to the part.

Regards,

Charlie
  14. charliec

charliec Active Member

If you don't like Super Glue you can use Acrylic Artists Varnish - just sand down to part to approximately right - apply some varnish to the fuzzy edge - let dry and sand off with fine paper. Acrylic has advantages because it won't affect print colours and certainly won't stick everything in sight (fingers, tools) to the part.

Regards,

Charlie
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I use a little wood glue, the stainable stuff from titebond. It also doesn't affect the ink and doesn't burn up my sinuses as much!
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I use a little wood glue, the stainable stuff from titebond. It also doesn't affect the ink and doesn't burn up my sinuses as much!
  17. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I just use scissors and make one long cut aaaalllllll the way around, haven't had any problems with it so far.
  18. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I just use scissors and make one long cut aaaalllllll the way around, haven't had any problems with it so far.
  19. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

For small discs, I use a leather punch tool. They can be found in craft stores and have a rotating end for different sizes. The newly made discs of paper will sometimes stick in the end of the punch- just pick 'em out with a #11 blade. Perfect discs every time, no sanding no CA glue.
  20. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

For small discs, I use a leather punch tool. They can be found in craft stores and have a rotating end for different sizes. The newly made discs of paper will sometimes stick in the end of the punch- just pick 'em out with a #11 blade. Perfect discs every time, no sanding no CA glue.