Cutting down an HO Spectrum Doodlebug.....

Iron Goat

I have been delaying my sound decoder project on my Doodlebug, as the scale length of the D/B is not prototypical of the one Montana Western used to run.(It was a sixty footer...) The Spectrum D/B is 72', and it has a diecast floor... which is somewhat problematic, but my big issue is "cutting down" the car body accurately. I am also thinking about buying a second shell so I can have a "bi-directional" car, as that would match the MW prototype.

I know, from all the car body bashing that the Gauge forum members have done, that I should be able to get the pointers I need to survive my first "cut down".

Thanks, Bob :confused:

jim currie

have one of the blankety blankety things my sugestion would be to get a walthers one there shorted might take less bashing:)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
After cutting the die cast floor to proper length, you can splice it back together with epoxy, and a piece of steel car weight from another kit. The weight could be replaced in the kit with something else. As for the body.....
Hey, the car's too long to use now, it's either cut it, or sell it......now where's that razor saw! :eek: :thumb:

How do you think my spare parts bin got so full? :) :)

jon-monon

I use the table saw and a carbide tipped blade to chop bodies. Smoother cut and more acurate. Wrap in masking tape first.