cutting carboard?

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
Tirta, check out the www.fiskars.com website, it has a 'where are you in the world' so you can find a distributor near where you live.

I just bought a pair (see, said I would!) in my local Hobbycraft shop. The code number on the pack is 2921, but they look exactlly like to pair Gil showed on his message. They are very sharp, and cut beautifully! Thanks Gil for the pointer.

Tim P

S

shrike

wunwinglow said:
Ref the cutting direction, I agree about the cutting direction advice. I find if the line of the cut is in line with my fingers, hand and elbow, so I am pulling the blade in the same direction as my forearm, I get a clean and controlable cut. Try to push/pull the blade sideways, even by a few degrees, and the cut goes off-line. This means turning the card with the other hand to keep the cut direction constant. Takes practise, but it works.

Tim P

That's the secret of cutting long, straight, smooth lines. Forget you have any joints below the elbow, and pull from your shoulder.

Also, lay the blade 'flatter' (ie a more acute angle to the the work) for straight cuts and lift the blade up (closer to perpendicular) to cut curves.

10 years of doing graphics, cutting films and such taught me these lessons and the translate handily to paper modelling.

Another little exercise I used to have new guys do before they got to cut anything important: Take a sheet of paper and a ballpoint pen (the cheaper the better) and fill the whole page with scribbles. Little loops followed by big loops then small loops without lifting the pen. Do that until the lines are nice and smooth. This loosens up all the right muscles and works as a good warm up.