Custom Micromodels Train Diorama

Hi-Torque

Mar 20, 2008
Schkeuditz, Germany
Hello Friends,

Here is a (mostly) complete scene I made using many of the Micromodels sets. The base is foamcore and paper.

I will update with more photos if there is interest.

Regards,

Cris

4444805499_d6f8844e15_b.jpg

4445594880_cf34da29c1_b.jpg

4444851607_2e80d8ed0a_b.jpg

4445541924_f738b56998_b.jpg

Elliott

Jul 18, 2006
Yes, yes, yes!! I wanna know everything about your dioramas. Do you have progress pictures during construction? Post away please. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hi-Torque

Mar 20, 2008
Schkeuditz, Germany
@ Bulldogowner and Elliot:

Thanks for the kind words, I will surely post more pictures soon. I am however, sad to report that I didn't make a build log as such.

I can put something in so you can judge scale though. Most of the Micromodels trains seem to scale out 1:250 maybe?

@allhallowseve:

Thank you. I got these several years ago. Some searching around will lead you to reprints and PDF's available for sale. Of course, the original Micromodels are so old actual first run prints for most of the sets are impossible to come by. But often times you can find them on eBay etc.

Hi-Torque

Mar 20, 2008
Schkeuditz, Germany
A bit on the construction and completion:

I used (fresh) coffee grounds to give the landscape texture. The ballast along the track is (fresh) black tea. I then drybrushed acrylic colors on in layers to color and add depth.

The smaller bushes and shrubs are (fresh) green tea mixed with a bit of glue and paint. The large masses of shrub and woods are cotton batten chopped up and coated with a paint and glue mixture. The individual trees are also cotton batten but dipped in CA and trimmed to a (somewhat) treelike shape.

I used the tea again to put coal in all the tenders and a scrap of foamcore coated with sand made for a fine load of ore.

The exposed rocks below the watermill are chipped up foamcore with a dash of dirt from the nearest potted plant. The ladders up the signal towers and the water tower are made from thread coated in glue.

I scratch built quite a few of the little details and used watercolors and acrylics to touch up everything.

All in all I guess I've put about 4 months of nights and evenings on this one.

It still needs one more passenger train, goods in the warehouse, a few more details on the platforms and around the engine shed and.... cows :)

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Hi-T, beautiful work! While not a paper-craftsman, I visit occasionally from the Train section - and am duly impressed with this display, unlike any I've run across here before. No matter the scale (thought it between HO and N ?), the work on both the paper parts and the base (scenery) is wonderful, and the smaller the scale, the more remarkable the creation of the paper bits becomes. NOW...how about LIGHTS and MOTORS...maybe DCC? :p Bob C.

venom_82

Jul 9, 2010
Italy
very very nice... i'm a lover of trains and dioramas (i know, i have too much modeling intersest :mrgreen::mrgreen: cars, spaceships, mechs, trains etc :D). I like trains dioramas in all way, from lego trains to paper model, and obviously the classic H0 model.

Really great works, from the trains to the scenery, it's all really good!