Custom HO scale vehicle builders unite!!!!

slagpot

Hello all,

Modeling steel mills has its fair share of perks and its own problems.Which leads me to this, slag dumps. I've done a breif search of the internet, looking for an HO scale mobile crusher unit,preferable mounted on tracks.Having said this.....I didn't find a darn thing.

I did however sit down at the ole work bench and start another HO scale custom model.Yep....you quessed it,a mobile tracked crusher.

Geeez I should have picked something else to model ,other than a steel mill complex. But that wouldn't be as much fun as building all these weird pieces of equipment.Anyhow I have walthers glacier gravel company and may pieces of equipment ,one would find working in such a place. I also need to get a hold of a kibri track crane for the skull crushing,using a HO scale wrecking ball { AKA small fishing weight}.

I should have something for photos ,some time this week. I can't decide on what color to paint it. Caterpillar yellow,ruby red,apple green or???????

What custom vehicles are you working on ,for your layout ?

Take care.....

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

shaygetz

Old Gaugers would recognize these from past postings but they reflect what I enjoy doing with the contents of my scrapbox.

Attachments

• DSCF3623.JPG
    DSCF3623.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCF3625.JPG
    DSCF3625.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCF3629.JPG
    DSCF3629.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 333

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
You had Dale Earnhardt's car in your scrapbox?
Those are cool Bob......Fan of Monster Garage I see.
That ain't R.Lee Emery's "Honey" is it?

slagpot

Heres some of mine that you have already seen.

These are toy bulldozers from wal-mart with added details.

MOWdozertesttrack001.jpg

This is the newest monster to run the mill ...a kress scrap box carrier! The scrap grapple is a kibri model.

Kresscarrier002.jpg

This is a kress hot metal ladle carrier,painted in blazing orange for safety.You would want to be able to see a 400 ton machine coming your way....wouldn't you ?

DSC00190.jpg

The next one is a HO scale Norscot caterpillar 627G scraper,with details and hydraulic hoses added.

DSC00194.jpg

This next weird truck is a @&$% poor model of a ladle carrier. I first saw the real machine while working for Alcan rolled products in Oswego,NY. I didn't have any pictures to go by only, a very cloudy mind to work with. This was my first scratch build.....so as you can tell not the best in the world.

DSC00028.jpg

I have another vehicle I'm working on right now,so until then.....take care. I'll be at my work bench,after the daily grind of course.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}
Making HO scale steel by the ton!!!!!

slagpot

shaygetz said:
Old Gaugers would recognize these from past postings but they reflect what I enjoy doing with the contents of my scrapbox.

Bob,

Would it be OK if I took two of your vehicles for a spin ? I'd like to take the Jeep for sure and while I'm at it. I'd really like to test drive the rocket asist,old school model T.

I'm impressed, very cool vehicles!!!!!!

P.S

I'm insured, no moving violations,tickets or other traffic inpedments.

Patrick
DRSC

slagpot said:
I first saw the real machine while working for Alcan rolled products in Oswego,NY.
I used to drive for Metal Transportation, with the Green Peterbilt 379's, split axel covered wagons. Haven't been in Oswego in forever, or at least 4 yrs.sign1
Metal made their initial money hauling for Alcan, now they pull reefers also to the west coast.

slagpot

Thoroughbreed said:
I used to drive for Metal Transportation, with the Green Peterbilt 379's, split axel covered wagons. Haven't been in Oswego in forever, or at least 4 yrs.sign1
Metal made their initial money hauling for Alcan, now they pull reefers also to the west coast.

Man....its a small world. I remember seeing those trucks all the time.Company use to be right on lake ontario , on the east side of the river. Boy do I miss Oswego,NY.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
DRSC

doctorwayne

This is a pretty tame conversion, compared to some of the stuff posted here. This track inspection car was built from a Sylvan "late '30s sedan" (someone dubbed it a '37 Pontiac, although I'm unsure, as it was years before my time :D ). The only change was to substitute flanged wheels, punched out from .015" sheet styrene, for those supplied with the kit.

100_5847.jpg

Wayne

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Bob, Patrick, and Wayne, THOSE ARE AWSOME

Great job you guys :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

doctorwayne

Hi Andrew, I'm not aware of the one of which you speak. Mine was inspired by the TH&B's version, which I first saw when snooping around the road's Chatham St. roundhouse. I've been told that the wheels should be larger, but that was the largest two sizes that my punch would do.:rolleyes:

Wayne

shaygetz

viperman said:
Bob, please, how did you build those? Seeing those pics makes me want to scratch something like those in HO

The bike is a modified Micro-Machine. I extended the forks, reshaped the tank and headlight to make them less bulky and added a sissy bar.

The car carrier is a Hot Wheels issue modified using Ulrich wheels and bent wire for mirrors. Dale's car is a modified keychain ornament.

Bubba's jeep is a Mini-Tanks issue with a scratchbuilt engine and Micro-Machines wheels. I simply rearranged the suspension much like they do nowadays by placing the axles under the springs instead of over them. The Ma Deuce on top came with the jeep.

The Model T is the hearse that comes from Model Power's M.T. Graves Funeral Home kit. I found several 1/96 scale Saturn V booster rocket nozzles in a box lot I bought and just couldn't resist.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Wayne...

Well, it's not the real thing, but it is a real thing. Follow the links in my post, above (the underlined parts).

Andrew

doctorwayne

Doh!!! Sorry, Andrew, I didn't realize that there were links in your post. When I revisited it, I found the one for the Museum, which, while interesting, didn't really seem to have anything to do with the topic at hand. I finally, by accident, discovered the other link. (Are these supposed to be in a different colour? On my ailing monitor, usually bereft of "red", all of the wording is in black and none of it underlined unless the cursor is moved over it.)
Anyway, that is an excellent ride! I wonder what that array of horns on the front bumper sounded like.:thumb:

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Wayne,

Glad you found the links. I would love to go for a ride, but I am not sure if it is operational...

I am using the "Gauge Classic" scheme, which displays white text on a blue background. Any text hyperlinks show up as white (not red) with underlining. I'll look at them in the "Gauge New" scheme (black text on white background) to see if there is a new "problem" we should be worried about.

Andrew

EDIT - Investigation complete... Interesting! The Gauge New scheme does not underline the link, although it does turn blue and add underlining when you hover over it (as you noted)... Hmmm.... I don't know if there is anything we can do about it, but I will definitely keep it in mind for future posts.

2slim

Bob
Sounds like Slagpot wants to be your test pilot for the railcar! Be sure to take video, that 10K on AFV is still up for grabs!

2slim

2slim

Wayne
Profits must be good when you can run a Caddy track inspection car on your railroad. Bob's prolly searching for an HO Escallade as we speak!!!! ((BLING!!))

2slim