Curved double crossover

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by LoudMusic, Dec 12, 2006.

1. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

In search of a hand laid (or prototype) curved double crossover I found this fancy bit of hand laid track.

[​IMG]

Impressive! But not what I was looking for.

Without doing too much part construction in XTrkCAD I came up with this:

[​IMG]

I'm only curious if a photograph of such a device is available. I don't need one, don't plan to make one, or anything of the sort. Just curious is all.
  2. Alan Bickley

Alan Bickley Member

Wow, that is impressive! What are the ties made from?
    As for your diagram, I would say that there are Peco points that can make that trackwork. I'm not quite sure about the crossover, though.
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Most of the railroads I know would take the crossover off the curve onto the nearest straight section. And probably separate it into two single crossovers. All the doubles I know are in big passenger stations or subways.
    If I absolutely had to do the formation, I would probably use 4 Peco curved switches, replacing the crossing with two turnouts.
  4. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Loud Music, looks like a cool project. I agree that you'll probably have a tough time finding a prototype because: 1) real railroads have substantially greater curve radii and 2) double track mainlines typically aren't built in the type or terrain that would force such track work.