Curve Woes

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
platypus1217.blogspot.com
While running my Atlas GP-35 around my layout I noticed that is slows down significantly, to almost a crawl sometimes, going around the curves ( radius = 10 in. ), even when not pulling any cars. It runs fine on straight track.

None of my other engines have this problem so I don't think it would be a problem with the track. I checked the wheels to make sure they were correctly gauged, but other then that I don't have a clue where to look.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Ideas where to look or what to fix?

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm wondering if the loco is binding on the curves? If the GP-35 is one of your larger locos, that might be the cause. Some of my larger (longer) locos will bind a little on my tightest HO curves which are slightly less than 18" radius. Just curious, what scale are you modeling in -- perhaps N? Rob

N

nachoman

How far is this point from the nearest feeder wires from your power pack?

Kevin

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
Thanks for your input,

Robert,
Yes the layout is in N scale. I have a Bachmann GP-50 and an Atlas UB-25 that are about the same size and navigate the curves ok. 9.75 in. is the normal minimum radius in N scale. I was hoping it was not the curves since there isn't much I can do about them (until I move and get more space for a bigger layout :) )

Kevin,
One of the curves does have feeder wire at the start of it. It is not a very big layout only about 2.5 x 4 ft.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Besides making sure the wheels are in gauge, make sure the trucks aren't skewed somehow, in other words make sure both sets of wheels are going th esome place. A GP-35 shouldn't have a problem, I think. maybe something binding in the truck when it turns?

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
Well I ran the engine some more and either it is crazy or I am. I was trying to get some more insight by running the engine differently, fast, slow, forward, reverse while paying attention to the different things you guys had mentioned. I would see the problem one way, switch to the other way only to find it disappeared or was much less. The upon switching back to the original way notice the same lessening.

After a little while of this the engine was running pretty normal, only slowing down in one spot a little, and not nearly as much as it was last time. Gremlins maybe? I will keep an eye on it and see if it starts acting up again when I am not trying to troubleshoot it.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I wonder if it might have been a lubrcation issue? Maybe the grease was in there, but not distributed, and was gunking things up rather than making them smooth?