Curtiss P-40C Warhawk - American Volunteer Group by paper-aircraftwerks

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Chris she looks great!

Not to steal your thunder, but here is a finished one I did a long time ago............ no clear canopy so I did know about the seat thing.......sorry.

john

[​IMG]
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looks really good! Your overall construction looks better than mine so far but I will have the canopy so neener neener boo boo! :)
    Chris
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey John, since you posted I feel I can ask ;) Can you post a closeup of the wing tips so I can see how you put them together? I would like them to be rounded but this looks like a different construction than I am used too. I am used to the little thin triangles being cut out then formed somewhat rounded. Do I try to form the edge around those internal c shaped formers? They must need to go pretty close to the edge if thats the case.
    Thanks
    Chris
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Chris............ sorry, but those pics are from two years ago. I entered it in competition, and that's why I have pictures.

john
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

well darn - oh well :) do you recall how you rounded them? If at all that is....
    Chris
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Man - it took me forever to get this posted. Easily frustrated today I suppose....

I just got the wings and tail section fit on today. It all went together pretty well. The wing tips were new for me as they had internal formers that you wrap the paper around. If you leave just the right amount it goes really well. The glue softens the paper nicely and it tucks right down. It turned out better than I thought it would. If I do another one like this it will be quite good I think now that I understand it....

The pics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Beautifully clean build Chris
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks but not really - I hate the super macro error finding camera ;) This build has a lot of new techniques for me so its turning out to be a bit of a learning experience. I think the overall design is very good making my slight lack of knowledge work out to a decent build :) I like it when they balance out like this!
    Chris
  9. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

No, it is a beautifully neat and clean build, Chris!

Whatever imaginary shortcomings you perceive are your own delusion.:mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing more of this beautiful build...very nice kit!

Cheers!
    Jim
  10. YuG

YuG Member

To my eyes by any standard it is clean build too.
    Nice work!!!
  11. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

cgutzmer
    Fantastic! I know now that I wont finish mine, yours leaves me flabergasted! I screwed up my edge coloring and the nose, I don't even have the a and the cross lined up straight! Your build is very good! I am still stopped at the section where you add the canopy to the back part of the fuseleage, something you seemed to solve well! GOOD JOB!
  12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I received an message from Chris and he asked me to post here in this thread for him.
    He seems to be having trouble posting. Here is a copy of his message.

Russell
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks Russell! Lets see if I can post today :) testing testing :)
    Chris

*edit* working :D
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Your welcome, Chris! I'm glad to see all is well again!

Russell
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

7 months! I started this build a loooong time ago. Got put on hold for a bit but I am getting going on it again. I took some time to build some small easy models (halloween stuff to decorate the house) and I am picking this up again!

I got the front landing gear put on last night and hope to get the prop assembly done over the next couple days! it all depends on time.......

I kinda stopped cause i was chicken of the canopy too.... We shall see! I will try to get some pics up after the prop is put on!
    Chris
  16. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

u going to fly it on IL2 :)?
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I havent got to play in ages :(
  18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I'm glad you are taking it again, Chris!!
    Don't stop!!
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Been a while since updating but I got this part done a week ago and I am fairly pleased with the result. I tried something new for the canopy and it worked fairly well.

I cut out the inside and outside of the canopy (65 lb wausau super bright) colored the edges. I also colored the edges of the back of each piece to match what shows on the opposite side. For instance I colored the back of the inside piece green to match (fairly anyway) the outside piece. I then used packing tape (pretty thin) to tape BOTH side of the interior piece. Then I glued the exterior part (green) to the tape enclosed piece (gray). It remained easily flexible enough to form as needed! I just got too crazy with the darn glue....... I didnt need as much as I would have if both sides were paper.....

All thats left are a few small detail parts like the guns. I will be leaving off some of the more fragile details since its for my 4 year old son and he will likely fly it around on occasion.... :D
    Chris
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. josve

josve Active Member

I think the plane looks good Chris,you did a nice job on that one!! And I also see why you are just fairly pleased with the result.The macro lense is sometimes not your best friend :)