Curtiss P-40C Warhawk - American Volunteer Group by paper-aircraftwerks

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cgutzmer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

P40

I have started the same plane. I finished the cockpit, and the 3 main fuselage parts, I stopped at the section for installing the plastic windows. I am having trouble finding a suitable adhisive for the parts I have. I also colored the edges with specialty markers and they discolored the print parts. SO, I am going to finish the build with an eye to motorize it and then rebuild it with better markers. . .I am looking forward to pics, If you are intrested I could start some pics from where I left off?
  2. DrBill

DrBill Member

Alaimo -- I've had pretty good luck with G-S Hypo Cement for joining clear plastic to cardstock. I think I got it from Micro-Mark in NJ, but I can't be sure of that. The trick I use for edge coloring is to work with a fine sable brush (00 or 000) with water color pencils. You can buy almost any color imaginable from an art supply store, or get a set of pencils that will cover most situations. Dip the brush in clean water and stroke it along the pencil tip until you pick up enough color. Apply that to the edge. There is no bleeding, and you can make sure that the edge coloring is no darker than the skin you're touching up (really important). When you run out of watercolor (which takes a long time), sharpen the pencil. In seven years I haven't used up a single pencil, so these things last a long time.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

alaimo - sure some pics would be great! Not in this thread though please - you can start a gallery though (if you havent already) or create another build thread. Your choice! I would like to see any pics. I really gotta get back on this....
    Thanks!
    Chris
    p.s. drbill - great tips! :) sounds like yo have a good handle on that technique - how about a tutorial thread on it :)
  4. alaimo@jcu.edu

thanks

DRBill Great idea, I will try this weekend. . .
    cgutzmer..When I get pics, I will try to figure outthe gallery thing, no post here. . .
    geo8)
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I just dont want people to confuse our two builds - especially if yours is wayyyyy better than mine :D
    Chris
  6. alaimo@jcu.edu

My builds are ok, they are not quite as good as some of these fantastic works of art we have been seeing on here lately...:) Realistically, My issue has been trying to do edge coloring without damaging the print colors, as long as the model is well designed my builds look like a weathered version of what the designer intended....:) Also, I usually build between 2-6 versions of the same model. The first time for how it goes together, the second time to see where I want to make changes for detail, like moveable control surfaces, 3rd time for adding strength and compartments for r/c and batteries and motors and such and 4th through nth for a good "static look." If you ask my son, I really haven't gotten past a good first model:cry:
    geo
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well since I am constantly harassing others about building more and showing pics I better get on the ball! I finished up the a good chunk of the fron cowling and the cockpit

I sugest putting the back of the exhaust manifolds in first then gluing the pipes from the outside rather than following the directions and assembling the whole thing then sliding the pipes through the slots. Also dont be a dorfwad like me and cut all the pipes the same or half the seams will face up and half down. I should have cut them all so the seam would face rearword.

The pics.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Looking really great, Chris!!
  9. YuG

YuG Member

Oh, sad.
    Something must be wrong with my PC?
    All the pics have X mark. Do not show up.
    P-40 is one of my favorite....
    I will try again tomorrow.
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I know its working! They are linked from my personal site and I know its up :) maybe your prowser doesnt like the redirects. See if this thread shows pics for ya
    http://forum.zealot.com/t145455/
    If anyone else has the same issue, please let me know!
    Chris
  11. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Works for me. Glad to see you back on this project. I've got this model but only cut a few pieces so far. I had sprayed it with clear arylic but the coating is rather rough to the touch and I don't like the feel of it. Kind of creepy to work with. I never had this problem before.
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sounds like it could be a couple problems - one too heavy coat or possibly dust in the air or on the model :( You can print it again ;)

Here are some more pics! I got the front fuse mostly done and the cockpit installed. Its going together very well considering how rusty I am - kinda like riding a bike I suppose! One thing I dont like is there are no pre printed strips. I have to figure the length myself and color them. One thing I really appreciate on models is when they are preprinted in the proper colors :) makes it much easier! And yes, I am a bit lazy ;)

Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now off to work on the honey do list for a bit then hopefully back to the plane time permitting!
  13. RTomedi

RTomedi Member

Good progress Chris.
    Waiting for more pictures (and tips :p).

hugs.
  14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

You picked this version just for the pink lady on the cockpit - didn't you? :p

Looks good so far!
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well no actually - John purchased it for my son - the lady is to make it more interesting for me ;) Please standby - new pics coming up in about 10 minutes :)
    Chris
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Fuselage is complete. It went together super! Any failings are mine alone. I must admit, its about the straightest I have ever put together ;) no banana plane here!

First my advice.....

DONT put the seat in the cockpit when you build the cockpit. It should go in after the former behind the cockpit is put in. It would have made it ever so much easier had I noticed that detail.....

Also the former on the end (F) shouldnt be put in later as per the directions. Put it in when you build the section like I did - helps make shaping much easier.

For the window panes in the rear section they should be flat so use fairly heavy plastic and glue it in very well. You want the entire panel where the window is to remain flat. The plastic actually helps it stay in the proper shape. I used UHU from france for gluing the window in.

After yu get that former behind the seat glued in THEN glue in the seat ;) (I cant stress that enough....

The pics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Looks good! Nice to see the pictures showing the colors properly in the natural light. Thanks for the build tip. I'll have to remember that when I build mine.
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

ARGH! There is a big darn fingerprint on the canopy I didnt see til I looked at the pics again pllllleeeease let it be a normal smudge on the outside.....

Not likely :(
    Chris
  19. YuG

YuG Member

Last night pics didn't show up by all means. This morning all showed up. I cannot figure out why. I must become early riser to enjoy your report.
    Together with your nice modeling technique this coloring looks very nice.
    I am looking forward to seeing more!
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

The fingerprint is shown because you used the Macro-Photo-Error-Finder we all use once while we are so excited about the beautiful construction... until it's too late.

Looking great on that fuselage!!