Curious CNR Site Today

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I saw a curious site this morning on the CNR tracks near my office. I was waiting at the signals for two freight trains to pass through.

On one of the trains, the second last car was a silver dayliner coach, with domed observation roof, etc. -- at least it sure looked liked that from where I was sitting! Then after it came the last freight car.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? I was wondering if they were using an old dayliner coach for a work crew or as a kind of caboose? It sure stood out!

Rob

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Was it a Dayliner, which I believe was what CN called its RDCs, or was it an actual dome car? I believe that some of the latter have been refurbished and are still in service on the Ocean Limited and perhaps some trains out west. I don't think that there are any RDCs still in service though, (pity :cry: ), although either type may have been in transit for repairs or restoration, or perhaps enroute to a museum.

Wayne

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
doctorwayne said:
Was it a Dayliner, which I believe was what CN called its RDCs, or was it an actual dome car? I believe that some of the latter have been refurbished and are still in service on the Ocean Limited and perhaps some trains out west. I don't think that there are any RDCs still in service though, (pity :cry: ), although either type may have been in transit for repairs or restoration, or perhaps enroute to a museum.

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. Well, it definitely had the rounded viewing area at the top. I'm not sure what an RDC is (sorry! ... I'm more up on British trains). I have seen these cars in use -- at least a few years ago -- in passenger trains. At any rate, it sure looked strange at the end of a freight train! Rob

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Rob: in an RDC, the raised bit in the roof has something to do with cooling (engine or passengers, forget which) and is not a viewing area. The other telltale is that the ends are rounded and most have windows for the engineer.
Thre rae a number of RDCs left; I think a couple in northern Ontario service plus the ones on Vancouver Island.
There's one in Orangeville that may get restored/converted for excursion service.

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hi rob---does this look familiar---it's a proto 1000 model of a cnr rdc 2 #200

rsseries016.jpg