Cumbres & Toltec - Best Narrow Gauge Ride in the World

marc gast

Hey all,

Here is a photo I took of the K-27 Mudhen and K-36 outside the Chama roundhouse in 2001. If you haven't had the chance to ride this "Real" narrow gauge RR, you are missing a once in a lifetime chance. One can run wild through the yards, engine house, etc. without any hastle from the crew. The only rule is, "Don't step on the rail". Of course, one must always keep safety in mind. This 6 hour train ride can not be compared with any other in the US or maybe the world. I have ridden the Durango & Silverton - is okay, some nice scenery in places, however, one can not even sneeze without permission. I do love the Georgetown Loop (got a ride in #14 one year). Being a native Coloradoan, narrow gauge is in the blood.

Marc

Attachments

• gauge photo xiii.jpg
    gauge photo xiii.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 75
I spent an afternoon in Chama back in the seventies, and was amazed that no one seemed concerned that I wandered all over, in and out. I've wondered if it was still so pleasantly low key.

I hadn't the time to go for a ride, but I sure want to one of these days.

And I've often thought that Chama would be the ideal place to live for a well-off modelrailroader who didn't need to work for a living. It's certainly well away from the rat race.

Got any more pix?

BillS

marc gast

C& T RR

Bill,

Yeppers, the C&T is still as layed-back as ever. Wow, what a neat run. I have more photos I will post. Got some great shots inside the roundhouse also.

marc