CSX Derailment Causes Amtrak woes

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
Apparently Amtrak and CSX have had problems for a long time. There was even a write up in the Oct '06 Trains mag about CSX not giving the passenger trains priority and poor track conditions. Its an interesting artice if you have the issue.

hobokid

thebull
May 19, 2006
long island ny
csx just hit someone in baltimore county. i read something similar about csx not giving trackrights to amtrak, but after all i guess passengers are low priority, and trash trains actually are higher priority. its a crazy world.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
65GASSER said:
Apparently Amtrak and CSX have had problems for a long time. There was even a write up in the Oct '06 Trains mag about CSX not giving the passenger trains priority and poor track conditions. Its an interesting artice if you have the issue.

Which does not even apply to this situation since Amtrak both maintains the right-of-way and does its own dispatching. Has there been a difinitive cause for the derailment yet? For all we know it was Amtrak's own track maintenance and the CSX train just happened to be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
Brian Schmidt said:
Which does not even apply to this situation since Amtrak both maintains the right-of-way and does its own dispatching. Has there been a difinitive cause for the derailment yet? For all we know it was Amtrak's own track maintenance and the CSX train just happened to be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Didn't mean to rub you the wrong way. Just remembered the article.

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
hobokid said:
csx just hit someone in baltimore county. i read something similar about csx not giving trackrights to amtrak, but after all i guess passengers are low priority, and trash trains actually are higher priority. its a crazy world.
Yes, CSX is a bad neighbor up and down the line, whether it be cities and townships or passenger/commuter railroads.

But remember one thing, Trash = Cash

These trains are the best thing going for a wooden axle railroad. Low priority/high dollar trains.