Crossover and roadbed...

Connor

How do most of you guys handle crossovers and roadbed? I've figured out how to do a single turnout, but doing 2 turnouts joined at the diverging frog end has me a bit mystified.. I'm using Woodland Scenics Roadbed, but, anyone who's done this with cork can chime in too! :) Pictures would be a super bonus!!

Thanks, Connor

Will_annand

Take one section of cork and split it as usual. Assemble one half on one edge of the crossover and the other half on the other edge of the crossover, now use a piece of "full" cork (do not break it apart) down the center. if there is any gap, just use a small sliver of cork to fill in.

I have also seen fellows using two stips of cork side by side and filling the gaps with ballast.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Connor...

Lay your cork or foam roadbed like this... you will need 6 separate pieces.

However, if the tracks are really close together, you can simply fill in the space between with bits of roadbed that are parallel to the two main lines. See the second diagram...

Each line represents 1/2 of the roadbed (applicable with cork - not sure about foam roadbed - it may be one piece).

Andrew

Attachments

• crossover.bmp
    24.1 KB · Views: 36
  • crossover2.bmp
    24.1 KB · Views: 33

Connor

That's more along the lines of what I needed to see.. This turnout is basically 2 snap-switches with a 2" track between the turnouts.. So, they're fairly close together..

Thanks, Connor

spitfire

Connor, Woodland Scenics also makes sheets of their roadbed material. You can cut out whatever shape you need, and of course it's the same thickness as their regular roadbed. Just make sure you get the right scale. I wasn't paying attention when I got mine and had to make another trip to the LHS to exchange it.

Val

Connor

Yea, I say those when I was at the hoppy store, started to get a sheet and didn't.. Only bad thing about using the sheets is it doesn't have the nice 45 degree angle on it... So I'm not sure how the banks would look..