Crossing Powet Qestion

huttojb

Hi All.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Year.

I've got a crossing OO Track piece, just wondering is it normal when a train crosses the 2 set's of trackes are shorted togther through the Train wheels?

Jason

Pooh Bah
Hi jason. It's not normal, but it's common. One cure is to cover the exposed bits of rail with an insulator -- nail polish and paint are popular. Just do it for the width of a wheel tread. Unfortunately, it wears off eventually.

huttojb

Thanks for the reply, Will this occur on all crossing with the brand I've got. If i brought a different brand would it stop this.

Pooh Bah
Probably all of the same brand would do this, but it might be a quality control question.
It might also have to do with the wheel tread width you have. Since you say OO, I suspect it's British. Some of their equipment has wide flat wheels and this goes over the insulated area that was supplied. Is it all your rolling stock that shorts or just certain ones? (The plastic wheeled ones shouldn't short).
There are more complicated ways involving extra wiring and switches.

Pooh Bah
The wiring would be to power only one of the crossing tracks at a time. I said it was more complicated. It also complicates the operations. Try the nail polish first!