Cross overs...

Bob_in_MA

I'm building a N scale layout and and am working on a track plan with the Atlas RTS software. I found that if I use a 11.5 or 22.5 degree X-crossing (scissor crossing? I'm not sure of the correct term), my plan can more easily fit my space. But I've noticed almost none of the layouts I've seen use one of these. Is there some big negative?

Thanks!

Bob

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I suspect you have more length in your layout than the ones you've been looking at. With an 11.5 degree crossover, you'll have a pretty long straight leg before you can get even a small radius curve to come back around to the crossing.
The track plan will look more like a "bow tie", and less like a figure 8.
Pete

Triplex

The track section is just called a crossing. I've never heard of there being a problem with using small-angle ones.

sumpter250 said:
I suspect you have more length in your layout than the ones you've been looking at. With an 11.5 degree crossover, you'll have a pretty long straight leg before you can get even a small radius curve to come back around to the crossing.
The track plan will look more like a "bow tie", and less like a figure 8.
Pete

None that I know of, and my plan calls for an 11.5 crossover... 11.5's pair up with #6 switches pretty closely, so they're often used in conjunction with them to have a turnout from one parallel track cross over the other one.

b28_82

Our club's layout has a double crossover at the end of one of our yards where a lot of stuff happens. It just made sense to put it in there. Its even got 4 tortoises on it!