Crichton from Buck Rogers

Maverick65

Jul 13, 2012
Newark, Ohio
That base looks like it's made of sheetmetal, really cool. :thumb: Now I have to go on a quest for metallic paper. :curse: More pictures please!!! :wave:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
To be honest, finding the metallic paper at my place was pure luck. I tested three different kinds of coated sheet and chose what worked and looked best. I was very surprised to see that all pages went through my printer without problems. Unfortunately the sheets didn't came in a box or packaging, so I'm unable to say what grammature they have and who manufactured them.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The internal skeleton is assembled and inserted.

DSCF9576.JPGDSCF9577.JPGDSCF9601.jpgDSCF9664.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Level 3: Main body and internal skeleton. I guess you already know how it looks, but here it is - in silver! :cool:

DSCF9589.jpgDSCF9590.jpgDSCF9606.jpgDSCF9609.jpgDSCF9611.jpgDSCF9612.jpgDSCF9669.jpg

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
It is really coming together BEAUTIFULLY!!!
That metallic paper is really making the model POP!!!
I REALLY NEED TO FIND A PLACE HERE WHO SELLS SUCH!!!wall1wall1wall1

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
You could order it online. But I would always test one sheet before buying a package and then realising that the sheets don't go through your printer or that the ink doesn't stay where it is supposed to.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Where do you guys find the time.........:confused:

I have to agree, the metallic paper certainly brings out the character of the model...

Nice work so far, R-F.:thumb:

Question: What are you going to do to protect the finish from the elements???

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I put it into a crate, seal it with tape and hide it under my bed! :mrgreen:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Well, I certainly wouldn't take the model to rainy Amsterdam...
sign1sign1sign1

Just kidding. At the moment I really don't know how to seal the surface of coated card. I don't want to get the surface affected by a coat so that it becomes dull or even darker. But I will put it in a crate after I have wrapped it up in a plastic bag to protect it from dust. I have done so with my other models and they look so clean and fresh as if they had been built a few days ago (even though some of them are about five years old).

I heard from other people that there is a special spray suitable for sealing the surface of ordinary paper models. This procedure is recommended at places with high humidity, such as Brazil (and NL, I suppose :mrgreen: ). You also could try hairspray but I haven't tested that yet, so try this on a piece of scrap paper first.

Anyway, IMO the plans of a paper model are of higher importance than the model itself. Just imagine a flood or an accident (hungry dog :eek: !) which causes severe damage to a model. Without the plans you don't have the possibility to repair or even replace the model.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Can I suggest a test, if you have a spare sheet over?

The tried and trusted 'FUTURE' floor wax. Pour the stuff neat into a tray, put a clothes peg on two corners of the paper, dip the whole sheet in the liquid wax and hang up to drip dry, like you used to do in the old days when making photographs......

Also, you could try sealing it in this fashion AFTER printing, thereby sealing in the ink.

You will be amazed at what this stuff can do. It is acrylic, water soluble, cleans off instantly with ammonia even after fully curing.

Try it. You might be pleasantly surprised!!!

More info here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Oh, thanks! :thumb:

I heard this was sometimes used with plastic models to give them a shiny look and to seal the decals.

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Well you can see some of the possibilities of its uses on the canopy of my Raptor build and also the artificial water on the rock base for the current dragon build. The stuff has endless uses. And it is cheap to buy.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
ahh my acrylic overcoat of choice. Futur floor polish, you can even abrush it or airbrush it no thinner needed. Put a wet coat down and it self levels.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'll give it a try but I don't know if and when I can test it (I still have some unfinished kits lying around, so please bear with me on that). But the tip is great! :thumb: