Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Jun 6, 2012.
OHHHH! That is way cool!
Erh, it's all CGI! :twisted:
Just kidding, pal! Yes, it is posable. Even the neck (if possible). This is the most crucial part. I thought I had found a way to make it work. It did work, however, then I noticed that it was not stable enough to sustain the head. The pics show what I mean. I'm working on a way to reinforce the neck tubes. In theory it works, a test build will show more. I'll keep you posted. CU!
Crichton is coming along quite well. Have you considered maybe an elastic thread or wire (or both) through the cups to support his head?
Oops, and I thought you'd come for me with the whip again if I didn't make a real one..! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Well, as I mentioned before, the plans are scalable..! :twisted:
Thank you for your comments! And thank you for realising the multiple pics upload; this is splendid! :thumb:
Good idea, but that wouldn't work. The neck is supposed to be telescoping and an elastic thread would not allow that feature. It has to be reinforced from within to prevent it from bending. As an alternative I would skip the telescoping feature and make two interchangeable necks instead, one in normal position and one extended.
Just the same...
Yeah, agree with that, I thought about a wire... Then again, Zathros's post reminded me that one of UHU02's :inw: models (Rob, the Robot, from Forbidden Planet) has exactly that "mechanism": a rubber band, so that the arms can be poseable. And the arms are made of segments, alike the ones in Crichton's neck.
Perhaps you could check the model and, if it works for you, ask him permission to use it.
Just an idea.
P.S. Your work is great!:thumb::thumb:
Maybe an internal tube that lowers into the body and rises, picking up the neck baffles?
Which would make the shoulder joint and body frames much more complicated...
THAT was my first idea!
It was so smooth and elegant - but didn't work because the elements stuck together and were pulled out in a totally irregular way. In addition, the baffles were too light for that; they would never lower themselves in the desired fashion. Even though I kept the plans for that because it could work on a 1:1 scale model made of plastic, wood or metal.
And as you said, the shoulder joints would require a major redesign. At this scale I fear that this wouldn't work. But as I said, I still have to test another option.
Thank you, Rogerio. I appreciate any assistance you and the other fans can offer. However, the rubber band idea does not work here because the neck is supposed to go straight up and down only. The previous solution proved that the neck would go up and down but also swing around like the tail of a rattlesnake once the neck is completely pulled out. I'm prolonging the inner tubes so that they may stabilize themselves.
Uhm..... Throwing in my 10 cents worth..... These bend, stretch and sort of telescope.....
Looks like an intersting idea, do you mean to put one or more inside as support? One may not be enough for full elevation, but if you can link the bellows parts of two or three, it might work. Maybe glue a dowel piece inside at the joints? One possible problem I see might be that too much force would be needed to move it, but I suppose the head could be reinforced for that.
Yeah, some sort of internal spine. These straws become quite supple if you manipulate the bellows part by twisting and stretching/contracting. An idea might be to fill the straws with a silicone filler that remains flexible when cured. Not sure though, if that might create an elastic effect, and cause the neck to spring back and not hold the desired position. Just need to find a less viscous type of silicone.
Actually, if you put a couple of Bread twist ties in the silicon, they would probably hold it in place and you would have the benefit of realistic bends from the silicon and be able to be posed and held in position from the soft steel in the silicon. I would use 5 or 6 of them.
Bad news... and good news, too!
The bad... :sad:
Well, guys, I've done my best but the neck is going to be static. At this scale the solution I came up with is suitable for three baffles, not for four. The top of the fourth baffle is too small to allow another tube to penetrate it. So I'm going to make an interchangeable neck. It's such a pity, but a telescoping neck is simply not buildable.
The good... :smile:
HOWEVER, and this is a BIG however, I'm keeping the tube inside tube idea because it actually works! The neck stays stiff, the baffles go up and down as they are supposed to. I'll add this as an option for larger scale builds. If you enlarge the plans to make e. g. a 1/4 scale figure the neck will be able to telescope because then the baffles are large enough for sustaining another tube.
When bad is good enough...
Man your "bad" is my "excellent"! I knew you would work it out. I can't wait to assemble it, but I've got this certification exam coming...:cry::curse:
Head's up! ;-)
Here we go again. These are the parts and steps for the head.
First: the dome.
The visor. As you might know from last year's little preview there are different visor modes (stand by mode, talking, angry, angry talking and so on). I chose one of the talking mode views.
OK, this is just CRUEL TEASING!!!
Two pics of the head with the ears and one static neck piece. This is the exact configuration of the original prop. The last picture shows the rim parts which are attached to the top of the head. These parts were used to hide any seams between the molded parts on the original one. Hartland used the same method on the Cylon costumes: There they actually used silver tape to hold the armour parts in place! (Surely one of the reasons why BSG hasn't been released on Blu-Ray yet: Cylons = duct tape monsters from the DIY store :mrgreen: !)