Crichton from Buck Rogers

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here are the first pics of the arms. The wrist is very small (if not tiny). As a result of this, the joint cannot be made with a paper tube; I'll use some wire instead. The holes were punched through the single parts with a nail and a hammer. The last two pics show how everything will move in the end.

I made an interesting discovery. If you skip the cover of the two side parts of the "hand" you may equip Crichton with an extra finger. This would dramatically increase his movability and make the hand look more like a real hand. I'll add it as an option (albeit it is not canon :cool:).

DSCF9166.JPGDSCF9168.JPGDSCF9172.JPGDSCF9173.JPGDSCF9174.JPG

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi, Big J! I was just thinking about you. At 1:18 scale the model would be 1/3rd of the size I'm doing it. So you will definitely experience some problems with the joints. You certainly won't be able to make the hands movable; 1:6 scale is definitely the line for them. Everything below that scale is impossible or VERY difficult to make. It wouldn't be too much of a problem to use the joints on larger scales (1:4, 1:1) but I definitely won't recommend using them at 1:18 scale. In addition, the wheels will become very small and I doubt that the telescoping neck will be buildable. What about a simplified version with static wheels, interchangable neck and arm and shoulder joints only???

Maverick65

Hey RF, great job on Crichton. The movable parts are just awesome. Was wondering are you using a spray on adhesive when you laminate the pattern to the cardstock? And what cardboard cardstock are you using? Just a couple of questions I've been meaning to ask. Thanks for all you do.
Reguards,
Rick

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Since the parts are not that big I'm using Elmer's glue for laminating. Sparingly, only a few drops, spread over the back side of the part. The cardboard is recycled cookie packaging. It is approx. 0.65 mm thick so I use several layers to achieve the desired thickness. The laminated parts will be glued to the back or the inside of the actual arm parts (I'll explain later). So the area around the joint is reinforced and the part itself becomes sturdier and doesn't bend too easily.

Rogerio Silva

Oh, man...

Are you in for a quick and dirty test build??? :cool:
RF

If I weren't so busy with so many things and trying to do it all at a slower pace, I would volunteer right now:twisted::eek:ops:. Sorry, I'll have to (AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH) pass.:curse:wall1
Or were you talking only to ASC?:confused:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
An arm and ... no legs ! ;-)

Hi, folks! Here come many new photos of the arms.

First of all, please let me explain what I meant earlier concerning the laminated parts. Since the arm parts are very thin but long it is necessary to reinforce them somehow. In addition, you must not make them too thick because the joints wouldn't work any more then. All arm parts consist of two side parts and a strip connecting them. If you laminate the parts to cardboard as usual you'll have to adapt the width of the rim strips. At a certain point these strips would become too thin; they would work then, though, but it would be very difficult to work with them. So I came up with another idea which solved two problems at the same time.

The laminated side parts are glued to the inside of their counterparts on the arm part. This gives the arm parts additional strength and a base to which the rim strips can be attached. So flaps are not necessary. The rim strip is connected to the side parts which ensures that the parts have their proper width when assembled. If you work carefully (like me ;-) ) everything should slip into place seamlessly and stay movable.

DSCF9191.JPGDSCF9192.JPGDSCF9195.JPG

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The next set of pictures show how the fingers are attached. The nail used in the test-fit pics was essential here. I skipped the wire idea because it would be too weak in this case. I stayed with the nail and snipped it to shape after assembly.

DSCF9210.JPGDSCF9213.JPGDSCF9214.JPGDSCF9216.JPGDSCF9217.JPGDSCF9218.JPGDSCF9219.JPG

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here comes the shoulder. The first version was very difficult to build which made me revise the plans a bit.

DSCF9220.JPGDSCF9225.JPGDSCF9228.JPGDSCF9229.JPGDSCF9232.JPGDSCF9237.JPGDSCF9239.JPGDSCF9241.JPG

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And here is the revision. It doesn't differ much from the previous version but it is much easier to build.

DSCF9242.JPGDSCF9244.JPGDSCF9249.JPGDSCF9252.JPGDSCF9254.JPGDSCF9256.JPGDSCF9260.JPGDSCF9265.JPGDSCF9271.JPGDSCF9272.JPG

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Some decoration and the first pics of the arms attached - including a very familiar pose..!

Next comes the :curse::curse::curse:wall1wall1wall1:curse::curse::curse: neck.

Stay tuned! :wave::wave::wave:

DSCF9275.JPGDSCF9277.JPGDSCF9278.JPGDSCF9279.JPGDSCF9280.JPGDSCF9281.JPG

Last edited:

Rogerio Silva

Whaaaaaaaat????

RF

Articulated arms? You mean it's a poseable model? Oh, boy, I soooo do NOT deserve that...sign1
Terrific job, man!:thumb::cool::thumb::cool::thumb::cool:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Crichton is coming along VERY WELL!!!:thumb::thumb:
By the way, you are suppose to be making just a paper model, not reconstruction the original robot!sign1
You are doing an OUTSTANDING JOB!!!:thumb::thumb: