Crichton from Buck Rogers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Hello there!

As some of you might know from the Thunderfighter mods thread (which is to be continued soon!) I have started to model Crichton from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. The model was on hold for quite some time because of time restraints and other projects. I've picked him up again and will begin unfolding shortly so I thought it might be a good time to start a new thread.

It is the first figure I design. The CG model was completely revised. The final figure is supposed to be in 1:6 or 1:3 scale (depending on the difficulty of assembly) and fully articulated. I have come up with a simple solution to make the head rotatable, too. In the series Chrichton only nodded, he never rotated his head. So in a way the final model will be "ahead" of the real one.

BTW, the reason why I have chosen to make a Crichton figure instead of a Twiki figure is simple: The character's design is very easy and allows me to practise designing and building moving parts. I'd love to make a Twiki figure in the same scale, however, my skills are not good enough for that yet.

SO PLEASE, IF ANYBODY IS ABLE TO MAKE TWIKI, PLEASE DO IT!!!

And here comes a little eye-candy. Pic 1 is from the beginning, pic 2 the revision, pic 3 with a (temporary) "face". Stay tuned! :wave:

Attached Files:

2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

3. clif52

clif52 Banned

I think he is cool too. I'd love to see a detailed Twiki and I've been waiting for someone to create a detailed Lost in Space Robot. I've got a 12" tall toy that I love.

Clif
  4. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

I can't Wait!!!! You are so awesome RF! Guess what I'll scale it to??
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Hope to see an update. This is a really cute robot!
  6. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

This will make a GREAT addition to the (slowly growing) Buck Rogers collection of models.
    I am looking forward to adding this one to my collection.
  7. clif52

clif52 Banned

I too would love to see more Buck Rogers models. I loved the original show and all the different vehicles.

Clif
  8. trt

trt Member

More buck the better.

Anyone done a Wilma figure yet?
  9. vbsargent

vbsargent Member

Now wouldn't that get a whole lot of us in trouble with our significant others?:eek:
  10. Revell-Fan

Hello again!

Here is a small update. Basic modeling is complete and unfolding and testing is in progress. I'm printing the test parts in light grey. The final parts will have a silver texture and there will be a white version which can be printed on silver card which should improve the overall appearance of the model.

I've been working on Crichton's neck for about one and a half week and had to rebuilt it several times to find a solution which works on that scale. The first one was not buildable, the second one was unstable, but the third one seems to be the final one. Unfortunately the first idea was the one that would have created a movement like in the series, however, the third one is a good compromise. At least the neck is telescoping in the end which is what it's all about. The pics show the basic principle: a tube inside a tube, repeated three times. The last picture shows the neck elements stacked together next to their assembled "endoskeleton".

Next are the nodding and turning head and the shoulders. Stay tuned!:wave:

Attached Files:

11. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

It looks like you are on the right track.
  12. ureeka2k

ureeka2k New Member

Why not make a 1:1 Scale?
  13. Revell-Fan

Hmmm... Interesting idea. Since the plans are vectorised it is very easy to scale them up. It could work. Well, we'll see..! :twisted:
  14. Revell-Fan

Hello again!

Here is a short glimpse at the unfolded head. The colour of the main body is temporary and the flaps are still missing. Crichton comes with different visor modes, so he can be displayed in stand by mode, talking or being angry. Next will be the arms. Stay tuned! :wave:

Attached Files:

15. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

I like the faces!
  16. Revell-Fan

Thanks! But this texture is preliminary. There will be two versions of the final model, one comes in metallic colours and one comes in white to be printed on silver card. The visor however may stay the way it is.
  17. jmich17513

jmich17513 Member

Tho my feelings towards the 2nd season are mixed the design of this robot is still pretty cool. I love your Buck Rogers designs man! Great stuff.
  18. Revell-Fan

Thank you! :wave:

If I only could find somebody who would make Twiki... :-|
  19. jmich17513

jmich17513 Member

Would you be interested in diagrams for the greenish Cargo Sled? I drew up some rough/basic plans.
  20. Maverick65

Maverick65 Member

All I can say is Crichton is looking Fantastic :thumb: thanks for sharing your build. Cant wait to try one myself. Keep those pics coming..:mrgreen:

Rick