Credit Valley Explorer

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by 60103, Dec 25, 2006.

1. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

On the way up to my birthday lunch last week, I managed to get a stop at Orangeville to see the yards there. I took a few snaps of the tourist train as they were working on it.
    The 3 cars have different paint schemes. And the RDC is being stored, so far.

Attached Files:

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The two coaches are originally CN/VIA via BCOL. This one was CN 5506.
    The silver car is the diner; started as CN 5491 and became a cafe-coach and then work service.
    Th RDC is ex-VIA 6006. Started as a B&M RDC9 (non-driving power car). Not scheduled to be worked on as yet.

Orangeville is building a new station to replace the one that burned down last year. I talked to a couiple of railway employees and they said that the town is building a much better station than they expected -- just look at that witch's hat!
  3. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

All of this looks and sounds great. Hopefully I'll be able to ride on the Explorer in 2007. Rob
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I'd like to ride it too... I used to cross that Orangeville Yard using Townline Road to go to and from school every day. Wished I had paid more attention then... :(

If I could build my very own layout building, and cost was no object, I'd build something like that I think ;) :)

Andrew
  5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Man, I love those witch's hat stations. Does anyone remember the kit that John Rendall used to make?

Val
  6. RobertInOntario

Yes, they are pretty neat. Have you seen the one in Uxbridge where the York Durham Heritage Railway operates from? I believe it was built just a few years ago but is a replica of one from the early 1900s. Rob
  7. interurban

interurban Active Member

That station is the real thing Robert.
    Abstract from there web site reads.

At the northern terminus of Uxbridge one can look through the newly restored Uxbridge Station, a unique "witch's hat design"originally built in 1904 for the Toronto-Nipissing Railway. The station is located on Railway St., roughly north of the feed mill in the central part of town.
  8. RobertInOntario

Thanks for correcting that, Chris! Somehow I'd forgotten that it was a restored station and not a replica. I've been there many times but some how got mixed up -- happens a lot these days! Rob
  9. interurban

interurban Active Member

No Problem Robert.
    I forget more than I remember these days. It is a wonderful station.