Crazy Talk!

Should I install a double slip or leave it alone?

• NO! What are you nuts?

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • YES! Absolutely...break out the hammer and chisel!

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Maybe a little late, but if you have any concerns about derailments....it is really close to the edge of your layout...

I did vote yes

Not really too worried...So far the stuff I've built is pretty reliable. (...pats self on back...) There now I've gone and put a hex on the whole damn deal.

Actually, I was thinking about leaving a 1/4 relief in some areas when I install my masonite facia. That and install items like power/telephone/light poles in areas where things get a little close to the edge. That is still no guarantee, as I had a caboose roll off the table as a result of a rather violent "bump" several weeks ago and it was two inches from the edge. Luckily, the caboose was not severely damaged and didn't break.

That was from a 5 foot drop onto a concrete floor too! Eeeek! :eek:

Also still, its not like I'll have stuff rolling through there at Main Line speeds. Most traffic in the yeard is only moving at a crawl.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
What I did on a previous layout, and will do on my current one in spots, was put a piece of plexi glass in between the layout and a piece of hardboard for a fascia.

riverotter

Midwest Alliance Rail Sys
Jun 9, 2005
Near Kansas City, MO
If you were a 'prototype' model railroader, you would ask yourself, "Is that what a real railroad would do?" I suspect real railroads like to keep it simple and thus would eschew a DSS unless there was absolutely no other option available. However, if you are 'just' into enjoying your hobby and having fun, go-fer it and git 'er done!