Crazy detailing

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
What's...

...crazy about that? You mean that not everyone does that? Geesh. I thought that was a given.

Very nice Val. While ya have it in your hands- detail the heck out of it, once it gets placed chances are it'll be too dificult to go back. I remember when Blake and I tackled detailing a yard maintenance area on a club RR. Took 20 minutes and there were racks for rail, steel, skids etc. Real quick but inspired. You're inspiration is appreciated. I hope I'll be as inspired when I'm doing the same.

Regards,

Mark

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot guys. It's fun when you can find some scrap such as watch parts to represent something else. There are lots of folks on this forum that do some inspired "substitutions". Ralph's shampoo bottle blast furnace comes to mind, and there are lots of other examples too, which my early morning brain can't seem to remember!

Now I'm working on the back, and trying to make it look like a dingy, run-down apartment building. There's an old car there now, but I'd like to replace it with a motorcycle - for the biker that lives in the apt with the confederate flag. :D :D :D

cheers
Val

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 110

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I tried to post this last night but couldn't so here it is now. The curtains are from a photo that I downloaded after doing a Google image search, and then printed out the size I wanted. Google has a great image search engine and I have found tons of stuff that way.
google.com

For those who can't be bothered, here is the original image I used.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

cheers
Val

Attachments

• curtains2.jpg
    curtains2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 112

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
Originally posted by spitfire

Now I'm working on the back, and trying to make it look like a dingy, run-down apartment building. There's an old car there now, but I'd like to replace it with a motorcycle - for the biker that lives in the apt with the confederate flag. :D :D :D

cheers
Val

How about a beat up pick- up truck with a gun rack in the back or a matching confederate flag hanging across the back window.
;) ;)

Geesh - I've been living in Texas too long!!:D :D

What you've done in the back of the building really looks great!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Val. I always forget about google images...!

A very simple technique, but amazing results. I could have sworn that you spned hours folding masking tape or something to get a 3-D curtain to hang in the window!

Andrew

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Too cool!

Wow! I've got to spend less time on the chats, and more time looking for your posts! :D

Nice work, I didn't even realize the drapes were a photograph!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks again everyone! After some thought, I decided to add some mortar to the building. I don't always do this, but when I do here's my technique. It's pretty simple and easy too. Just take some spackle and lay it thinly over the bricks. Rub it into the joints with your finger, then scrape off any excess with a strip of styrene, or cardboard. If you want your building to look like it's aging, then don't be too careful with the spackle. If there are parts missing, leave them - it looks like the mortar had washed out.

I also added a sign above the windows. All I need now is to find some tiny STP and Champion decals for the windows and I'm done.

One other interesting thing I noticed. The signs in the windows were printed out from my computer, while the street number above the door is a decal. With the interior of the building unlit, it's impossible to see the difference. So for future unlit buildings, I'm not going to bother with decals for street numbers - I'll just print out on a black background.

cheers
Val

Attachments

• active.jpg
    active.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 55