Crandall Cabs

Hey guys...
I got a couple unpowered LL E6 B-units...i'm thinking of hacking the "front" off of one of them, and scratchbuilding a crandall cab onto one...problem is, i never SAW a crandall cab in real life, nor have i ever seen measurements for one.

I don't care if mine ain't perfect, all i want is for it to look close enough so that someone with even remote knowledge of trains could say "hey, thats wierd...what is it" and i get to gloat and explain every little detail of it. :D

Here...
504a.jpg

...is what i'm shooting for...roughly.

If anyone has measurements or guesses as to sizes, or tips on how to do it, that'd be great. Any information you can provide wouldm be good too...

I was thinking too, that maybe i could use a KATO cab from an SD90, SD70 or some such thing and graft it on, changing the roof slightly, and allowing me to have operating lights should i so desire, however, i'm not sure how that'd look...ides, suggestions?

Thanks everyone, and MERRY CHRISTMAS! :thumb:

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
An interesting cab and unique to the CNW on the prototype anyway. That picture is on the dark side on my monitor. Any idea where there are some other pictures? A side view would help too. For a rough idea, use the trucks as a scale for guesstimating the nose length and how much was cut off the side of the B unit. I once read where a gentleman used an Athearn FP45 cab for the window parts and nose section. IIRC it came out in the RMC in the late 70's or early 80's.

Cheers,
Greg

Hey, here are some more pics...i really like the way CNW named them...E9BS units...anyways, here's some pics:

tr_cnw501.jpg

tr_cnw502.jpg

I found someone who made one in N, but it's not exactly what i'm looking for. Now, however, i have encountered a problem...i'm gonna need numberboards if i scratchbuild this monster!

C

Catt

Andrew,how about using the ATLAS 3 window SD60 cab for a starting point.It's no wheres near a perfect match but should get you headed in the right direction.