'Craftrobo' automatic cardstock cutting machine

bentbobb

I saw some references to this machine in a costuming forum (builders make heavy use of peps for science fiction costumes) and looked it up. This desktop machine sells for around $250 to $300 and....are you ready for this?....actually cuts out the parts in cardstock kits automatically! Wow! I'm already saving my allowance money for one of these. Why have these machines never been mentioned in this forum before? What a time saver. I love assembling cardstock but oh....the cutting!
Bob

MAGI

I saw some references to this machine in a costuming forum (builders make heavy use of peps for science fiction costumes) and looked it up. This desktop machine sells for around $250 to $300 and....are you ready for this?....actually cuts out the parts in cardstock kits automatically! Wow! I'm already saving my allowance money for one of these. Why have these machines never been mentioned in this forum before? What a time saver. I love assembling cardstock but oh....the cutting!
Bob

I have one,Silhouette SD, IT ROCKS.

You have to see it in action before you really can appreciate how awesome it is.
I watched a couple videos on Youtube and I was sold.
I was even able to Co-Sell it to my wife with the, We can do craftbooking.
First thing I did was write my son's name in Open office, curl it in a circle with the word art, imported the screen capture into the SD software that comes with the machine and print and cut it out.

TOTALLY AWESOME.

We both love it.

mb1701d

How do you use yours ? I know that you can cut out words using your own fonts and that .gsd files can be dropped into the software, printed and then fed into the machine and cut. But how does it work with card models ? I've looked a little into these cutters and so far it looks like you have to open your page in Adobe Illustrator and then use layers, one for cuts and another for fold lines. Seems like a lot of work.

MAGI

How do you use yours ? I know that you can cut out words using your own fonts and that .gsd files can be dropped into the software, printed and then fed into the machine and cut. But how does it work with card models ? I've looked a little into these cutters and so far it looks like you have to open your page in Adobe Illustrator and then use layers, one for cuts and another for fold lines. Seems like a lot of work.
Sorry for the delay in reply.
Some of the products I purchase support GSD. World Works Games and Fat Dragon games and EBBLE Miniatures. This makes it SOOOO easy to use their products. (that is how I got into paper crafting to begin with)

There is also highly detailed instructions on how to use GIMP and the built in Silhouette Software to make your own on both of the above sites look under forums and then CraftRobo.

I just created a GSD file for some Train cars that I found on this site. Makes creating a train yard a lot easier. IT is a bit of work to do so not really worth it for a single instance. But for Cities, Props, cars trains etc that you will use lots of. WAY worth it.

And No, once you have an outline of the project, you bring it into the Robo Software and you add dashed lines or solid and tell the robot that dashed are perfed and Solid are cut.
Not that hard but getting the outline is the tough part believe it or not.

I am not sure if I can put them here with out permission. But if you need me to PM and I can direct you to them or ask away and I will do the best I can.

mb1701d

Thanks for the reply.
So I could take any model available here and without too much work or a degree in Graphics Design, import it, outline it and print it with the registration marks and then cut it ? Are you using the Robo Master or Silhouette studio software ?
I'm in a similar situation.My wife is into makeing cards and scrapbooking and I"ve been a little intimidated by all the cutting (especially circles) involved with all the awesome paper models that are available, and I like gadgets.
Did you buy yours here or from the States ?. Locally I found a place that has them for around $330 CDN plus tax and online for $199.99 U.S. plus $35 shipping, just not sure about any duties or other fees.

MAGI

Yes you can take any model and do that.
Like I said teh outlining seems to be the trickeyist. For some reason the three or four I have played with needed ALOT of work getting the outline to match the print out.
The Robomaster Software will put the registration marks in.(WATCH that your printer doesn't resize. BLARG that was a hard lesson)
I obviously use Robomaster because there where issues with my purchased GSD files from some sites not working but Silhouette has been fantastic working with the more talented users to fix issues in their new software.
I bought mine straight from Silhouette directly. They ship from local Canadian suppliers, I caught a deal with 20% off and it was 300 with free shipping. I ended up getting it for around 240. I like the people I delt with at Silhouette.

Tell em Brett R Sent you.
:)
Wait for a web deal from them., They are on all the time.

It is an amazing thing. I had a page of six oil barrels. It took me too long.. Embarassingly long time to cut out 5. I got this machine, Test cut them out during my 1 hour long lunch break(while eating lunch) and had them all glued and ready to go by that evening(with two young children).

canage

I know this is an old post but does anyone know how to resize an image to fit within the marks? Pepakura now has a version for the craftrobo which adds the marks so no more need for robomaster but nearly everything is outside the marked area so when it cuts it misses some of the picture.

JHSurf

Ok so I think I have made a decision to buy an electronic cutter.
I have been looking at Craftwell eCraft and the Graphtec Silhouette SD.

They both can be attached to a computer to cut custom shapes. The eCraft does not use a cutting mat like the Silhouette SD. Also the sheet dimensions for the ecraft 12xunlimited. Both cutters can draw but the eCraft does not require swapping the cutting head out for a pen like the Silhouette SD.

The eCraft is more expensive than the Silhouette SD, but in the long term will probably be cheaper. I say that because there are to additional costs like buying cutting mats.

Anyone else have experience with either or both of these cutters?

MAGI

No Surprise that I will chime in about the SD.

As for cutter sheet.
6.99 Spray tack and a card stock sheet and you have a carrier sheet.

Want to get fancy like I did and purchase a couple clear folders from staples for 50 cents and cut them in half, use a indelible markers and mark your squares and again some spray tack (I used the 3M variant) and away to the races.

I think the software has been updated three or four times since my last post.
It works really well, tons of support out there.

as for blade swapping.. NO that is a myth. Unless you are cutting all sorts of different thickness papers(which I don't) cars, buildings, planes, spaceships. All card stock, all the same blade. You can use a carrie sheet with tin foli on it and cut lots of circles and it will sharpen the blade as well(from what i have read but never needed to do)

So I say go cheaper(And I don't concider the SD a CHEAP product. It is quality). Unless you are industrial use. Hobby wise I see my young children using this machine in a few years.
Totally recommend the SD.

It blows me away EVERY time I use it. I call my wife like a little child and say LOOK.....
It is so cool.

What do you cut? Why would you need 12 by unlimited? How is their software for doing your own cut lines and fold lines?
SD is great. Only thing I want now is a pen type adapter for doing my lines. Would be better then a mouse of track ball.

IMHO get the SD, you will not be disappointed.

MAGI

I know this is an old post but does anyone know how to resize an image to fit within the marks? Pepakura now has a version for the craftrobo which adds the marks so no more need for robomaster but nearly everything is outside the marked area so when it cuts it misses some of the picture.

Why not just move them around in GIMP save as a PNG then import and print and cut?

I find that a ton of the older stuff is out side the cutting area and has to be reworked.
But if you have lots of folds and cuts, or want to make many copies then it is worth the extra work.

JHSurf

Magi - I have not been able to get a look at their software personally, but the reviews I read say its pretty good. The eCraft has a pen carriage so you dont have to worry about swapping out the cutter for a pen adapter, so you can draw and cut in one operation. Looking at prices, both the SD and eCraft are within $50 (US) of each other. As far as carrier sheets go, the eCraft does not need any and can be loaded with multiple sheets of cardstock and just hit print/cut and it will operate much like a printer.

Z

Zathros

This is very interesting. Will it (they) cut inside of parts, or just silhouettes?
Also, how accurate do they cut. Do parts need to be trimmed, or is it as good as the cut line you make?

MAGI

This is very interesting. Will it (they) cut inside of parts, or just silhouettes?
Also, how accurate do they cut. Do parts need to be trimmed, or is it as good as the cut line you make?

Yes it cuts or perfs inside or out.
It is like this.

Use a sold line and it cuts, use a dotted line and it perforates.

Inside or outside as long as it is inside the three registration marks.
Cuts are very TRIM. No trimming needed.

It really is some awesome software. Simple and once it is done(as in created),it is fast.
I did a picket fence by Dave McGraffam while drinking wine with my wife.

Once i finished one I copied and pasted it over the drawings(the cuts and perfs), then printed it and then cut it. You can not imagine the ZUM ZAM ZUM ZAM you hear as it cuts the picket fence. AWESOME...
I was pretty buzzed by the end but it cut just fine.

Z

Zathros

Does the machine need to "Ramp on" to edges or can it just drop into a , let's say, inside rectangle, or circle?

JHSurf

it can drop in to any location to do cuts. Saw a demo of the eCraft where it cut out some fancy letter A's wthe hole cut out and it looked like it was die cut.

Z

Zathros

If you get a machine, would you please post some pictures? For instance, How the cutting "line" looks, , before and after "prep" work, and the final cut? I have a Spinal Cord injury and I can assembly, but the cutting part is absolutely tortuous. I am "short" on funds, like so many others, but I have some things that I might sell to get on of these. Thanks and thanks for the information!

@MAGI, the same request goes for you,I would be so very appreciative, as many others, I'm sure, with any and all data you could supply, Thanks!!